Emett Water Clock Birthday

40 years ago the emett water clock was installed in the victoria shopping centre in nottingham and due to recent work carried out by a fellow member ~ the centre is able to celebrate its birthday and have it still working as it should be

lets hope its lasts another 40 years and much more

• Upvote 2

I posted a comment a few days ago regarding the Emett Water Clock. I rarely visit the Victoria Centre but on my last visit I made a point of seeing the clock. I walked up and the clock began to chime, as if to say "Hello, why did it take you so long?"...lol. It really is a beautiful clock and I stood there for quite a while as I watched the clocks movements. I can remember when we'd get regular bulletins on Nottstalgia from 'The Engineer' as to the progress of the clocks renovation, his problems and the solutions. He did a fantastic job for the people, like myself, to admire and enjoy.

• Upvote 2

remember taking my children to see the clock when they were young eldest now almost 37 they used to love watching it.

dave and i brought my wedding ring from victoria house jewlerschristmas 1972 when he got home on leave the first time dave had been in vic centre it had only been opened a few months then and he dad not been home in almost 6 months so it was a bit of a shock for him to see the finished centre last timem he had been home on leave there were boards all round.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for the kind comments; I'm pleased to see that many folk derive some pleasure from seeing and hearing the old thing in action again. I do get periodic updates from family and friends; makes me smile when some say "your clock is still working."

I still need to get the drive sorted for the big water wheel with the butterflies, etc. It really needs to be moving to get the full effect.

You may recall from my previous postings that it was originally powered by an electric motor. The motor must have burned out at some point (I've seen the scorch marks!) and all the associated parts (gearbox, drive shaft, etc.) were removed. I guess they were lost or scrapped years ago so I'll have to start from scratch.

Presumably they put the clock forward an hour on Sunday? No doubt someone will report back soon!

Cheers,

The Engineer.

• Upvote 3