Just watched This is Cinerama on Turner classic movies channel. Made in the early 60s. It still looked pretty good. Just wondering if anyone went to see it in the big tent on the Goose fair site back in the mid 60s. Seem to remember the ABC had a pretty large Cinerama type screen but I think that by the time of 2001 A Space Odyssey they were managing the same effect with one projector rather than three.

Hi Loppy

I remember Cinerama visiting the Forest but was too poor to go in.

The next time I saw it was my recent visit to LA where there is one

on Sunset Blvd Hollywood. Its been there 50 years and Cinerama

is 60 years old.

photo.jpg

Cinerama Dome Hollywood: Theater To Celebrate Cinerama's 60th

whent with my mum and our kath she got free tickets when she worked at maypole for displaying the posteres remember a bobsliegh one it was like you were going down with them weird sensation

Went to see The Big Country there with my father in the mid 60's, innovative stuff back then

I seem to remember going to see `How the West Was Won' on the Forest in Cinerama. The film was released 50 years ago this week February 20th 1963. If a movie was made today on such a scale it would cost hundreds of millions £s. (three Directors and enormous cast of stars!)

2easyco, yes you are quite right it was "How the west was won", parts of the film that stick in my mind are the Buffalo stampede and the jet flypast at the very end, as you say the film was released 50 years ago so I would have been 10 years old, where have all those years gone?

Rog

I saw it in the 60s but don't recall it visiting in the 70s. I may have missed it if it was early 70s though.

I remember going to the Cinerama on the Forest the screen was in three sections with three projectors and sometimes they was not level with each other. I think the film was about bobsleighing as babs says.

• 1 year later...

How the Wast Was Won was in Cinerama it was great, ( for the early 60's)

I too went to the cinerama on the Forest. A large tent if I recall correctly. Lots of sensation giving short films.

just read your status profile roy and it answered my question and your last comment on there i dought it very muchand what difference dose it make if you are you are what you are and it certainly makes no difference to me.

think when i went to see it was very early sixties think i was still at junior school or mayby 1st year senir that was 1962on the forest definitly also remember going to billy smarts circus perhaps a little earlier than that again on free ticketsgot my arm bitten by a giraffe while going to see the animals in a tent at the end of the show bloody hurt and that was throught the sleeve of my coat.

next time i went to billy smarts circus i was about 17/18 took a group of kids from police orphanage with nottingham 41 mcc photo wasin the paper but i carn remember exactly when it was to go and look it up we have got part of the picture up in bikers bar but several of us missinf of it

Babs

Roy bakewell has been a member here for years.

Welcome Back Roy. I mentioned you to John Vincent at Meadows Reunion the other night, he remembered you as a little kid like us :)

• 9 months later...

Yes I,am another who well remembers 'How the west was won" on the forest also remember before that, 1960 "South Pacific" in Todd.ao at the Odeon and before the film started there was a ride on a roller coaster and car chase through the streets on San Francisco to show off the Todd ao effect,anyone else see that?....

Trev, I well remember going to the Odeon to see South Pacific in Todd AO. I remember the introductory short to demonstrate Todd AO. It ended with a fast ride up and down the San Francisco streets terminating in a head on crash into another vehicle. The instant that they collided was when the main title to South Pacific came on the screen. There was no break between the short and the main feature, it followed instantly. It was very impressive the way it was done. South Pacific is still the best of the Hollywood musicals.

Trev, I well remember going to the Odeon to see South Pacific in Todd AO. I remember the introductory short to demonstrate Todd AO. It ended with a fast ride up and down the San Francisco streets terminating in a head on crash into another vehicle. The instant that they collided was when the main title to South Pacific came on the screen. There was no break between the short and the main feature, it followed instantly. It was very impressive the way it was done. South Pacific is still the best of the Hollywood musicals.

Spot on Chulla and that got me into musicals and I have directed South Pacific on the stage....

• Upvote 1

They showed 'Around the World in 80 Days' filmed in Todd AO over Xmas on BBC2, great, no adverts. I hadn't seen it since I went to the premiere at the Odeon with mum and dad in 1956. Watching it in HD on a large flat screen telly with surround sound was really impressive, the quality was awesome. I didn't realise that few films were made in this format that used 70mm Kodachrome with a six track stereo soundtrack, only about 20 odd apparently, South Pacific being the first and 80 Days the second. I gather Cinerama required the use of 3 cameras to film and show, the join was evident, but I don't think I ever saw a Cinerama film, I remember the tent on the Forest however.

Other notable films shot in Todd AO included Cleopatra and Patton, which surprised me, I have the latter on DVD but they couldn't have taken Todd AO into account when it was transferred on to that format.