• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its just around the corner

Thanks for that positive post Compo.  I'm looking forward to Spring too - my favourite season - and today is looking almost springlike with quite a bit of sunshine.  My snowdrops are blooming, as are

No matter what time of year it is, there is always some hing of interest in a garden.  Note the new buds getting ready to open for the Spring ini some of the photos and also the new shoots coming up f

I'm getting my spuds in today - between heavy showers. The ground is almost a swamp but at least it isn't frozen any more.

• 3 years later...

No matter what time of year it is, there is always some hing of interest in a garden.  Note the new buds getting ready to open for the Spring ini some of the photos and also the new shoots coming up from the Crocus, snowfalkes and snowdrops. I hope this link works!

.https://flic.kr/s/aHskJpcYsR

• Upvote 5
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As winter draws on there is not much to report garden-wise. I have sown my onion seeds and also some Aquilegia and sweet rocket flower seeds in pots but the main garden has been frozen since early December, only defrosting this past couple of days.  The garden continues to provide cabbages, leeks, parsnips and sprouts but nowt else.  Hey-ho! soon be time to sow the main batches of seed for spring planting :)  I have laready put out my home grown potato "seed" for chitting and look forward to the planting season.

Snowdrops and Snowflakes aer just coming into flower at the moment and the Winter aconites should not be far behind.  These will be followed by the flowering currant bushes and then the beautiful bright, fresh green of Spring :)

• Like 1

My dad used to say that May 12 is the "correct" day for sowing runner bean seeds in Hucknall but May 10 in Rempstone (where my Grannie lived).

I thought this to be a load of rubbish so I tried sowing some beans on May 1 and not a single one grew.

It was certainly possible to see the differences in climate and the advancement of the growing season when travelling Hucknall to Rempstone in the late winter/spring.

• Like 1

Thanks for that positive post Compo.  I'm looking forward to Spring too - my favourite season - and today is looking almost springlike with quite a bit of sunshine.  My snowdrops are blooming, as are some primulas,  and the daffodil shoots are almost 6 inches high.  There is an overcrowded pot of bluebell shoots and there are catkins on our nut tree as well.

IMG_3803.jpg

IMG_3799.jpgIMG_3796.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I am about the same Compo just used the last of the saved tatties, just spring greens now and salad leaf from the green house.

This years spuds are chitting and hope to be planting some 1st early mid Feb, they will be in pots again in the green house, every thing else will have to wait a while yet

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Busy day today with the prospect of severe cold and even snow, we've been very occupied moving the citrus trees indoors (they are in large tubs in anticipation of cold weather) and wrapping the palm trees up in their own leaf umbrella and placing hessian around the growing top.

It's several years since we've had to do this but I would really hate to lose anything due to the cold when it's easily avoidable with a little care.

The agaves should be OK as they tolerate short periods of frost but I'll have to be careful if it snows as they can't tolerate having a wet and freezing crown.

• Like 1

Just did some rototilling this a.m.  Then planted a row of Carrots and Beets.  I know that will seem early to you, but they are a cool weather crop and it quickly turns hot in the. Spring here.  If we have another cold snap I'll just throw an old blanket ot two over them.

Tilled and prepared the ground where my Pole beans will go but it's too early for them yet.  We walk a fine line here between hot and too hot.  I actually preferred the Canadian climate.  You could not plant until the end of May, but it rarely got too hot and things were good until mid September.  Short growing season but predictable.

• Like 1

You'd need flotation devices to run the rototiller here, had about five inches of rain over the last few days with at least two inches forecast between now and Saturday night!!!! 

I noticed the Elderberry trees are starting to get leaves on them and some other scrub has leaves breaking out, almost spring again!!

• Like 1

Sounds like you need a boat, John.  I notice there is pretty big area of weather right through the Midwest just now.  We might get bit off it by Sunday.

Re spring around the corner.  With my luck I'd fall over it. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Well, there wasn't a frost last night which I'm very pleased about as I forgot to take my grapefruit tree indoors. I'm particularly fond of that tree as I grew it from a pip. It produces huge quantities of fruits which are completely useless. They are grapefruit-size (or bigger) but the edible juicy part is about the size of a golf ball in the midst of a load of pith - resembling the texture of the filling in a duvet. The French name for a grapefruit is pamplemousse - I can see where that comes from seeing the mousse-like pith that these fruits have. Even so, I brought the tree into the world and I feel a sort of responsibility to look after it after about twenty years.

One positive attribute of it, though, is the fantastic and strong fragrance of the flowers.

I'm not bothered about not eating these grapefruits, I'm not permitted to eat them anyway due to the medication I am taking. I do eat the other citrus fruits I grow - lemons, Shamoutis, clementines and suchlike.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1