um now you have started something mick i think its something tou love or hate i love it and a lot of differnt resipies to making it too i make mine with crusts on butter enamel or pirex dish butter the bread spread with a thin layer of seedless raspberry jamcut up bread and ayer it up on top off each layer i add sultanas and sprinkle lightly with sugar top layer just a light sprinkling of sugar then wisk eggs and milk nomber of eggs and how much milk depends on the size of your dish then i add just a little drop of double cream for a richer custardput in med hot oven till golden brown i like my custard just set but still wobberlyno need for extra custard or icecream then and eat it while its still hot. this is to me still the best bread and butter pudding how my mum made it all those years ago except for the jam thats my own add on but no one else in my house likes bread and butter pudding so i dont make one very often might just go and make a small one now youve set me off.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have the recipe Katyjay, and I also have the essence, but you can just use vanilla, it is not quite so sweet as the butter essence. Recipe: (for anyone who would like it) Line 9" flan tin with sho

We, in Watnall, had dinner at 12-12.30 and tea at 6...after The Magic Roundabout or Hector's House! Dinner was cooked main meal, tea was usually something like scrambled egg on toast, or potted dog (n

We could have a badge struck, "I'm in the Pudding Club"

I detest bread and butter pudding and pobs - awful stuff.

Always reminds me of a game we used to play at a friends birthday party when we were kids. The game revolved around Nelson and his Battles - it was quite a long game which everyone sang and joined in with and whoever was "in" (and blindfolded) when he lost his eye had to put their fingers into this bowl which contained soggy bread and it always seemed to be me. Never could eat bread and butter pudding after that and still call it Nelsons Eye.

Seems a strange game now I have written it down but can remember it was always the highlight of the party.

Lets not be "Hasty"!

cornflake tart ,caramel tart, spotted dick, chocolate pudding, jam roly poly, sago with jam some times jugs of ordenary custard sometimes strawberry or chocolate custard. i could go on for ever all cheap but filling stuff.

Tapioca Pudding

I loved it too. The good thing about it for School pudding, no one liked it and you got lots :)

tap·i·o·ca

Noun
A starchy substance in the form of hard white grains, obtained from cassava and used in cooking puddings and other dishes.

"You plant Cassava, you cant get fig.

Put a hog in a palace, still remain a pig"

Old Jamaican proverb

Butterscotch [or caramel] tart was my favourite at school. Many years later, I got the recipe from my hubby's aunt who was a dinner lady in Bridgford. I had to search for Butterscotch Essence, eventually found it, but alas lost the recipe now and I doubt I'll ever find the essence again.

I have the recipe Katyjay, and I also have the essence, but you can just use vanilla, it is not quite so sweet as the butter essence.

Recipe: (for anyone who would like it)

Line 9" flan tin with shortcrust pastry and bake blind.

Filling

Melt 115g marg/butter in a pan, add 115g each of plain flour and sugar stir together and cook thoroughly (without burning)

Turn mixture into a mixing bowl and beat thoroughly, adding 75mls milk gradually. Add vanilla to your taste.

The mixture should be thick like cream and caramel coloured.

Pour into flan case and allow to set.

Sprinkle with grated chocolate.

Enjoy !!

• Upvote 2

Right then Mick, you're on:

'You put your right leg in
Your right leg out
Your right leg in
And you shake it all a......

Now then, now then, there's something's wrong.

I know: I've only gone and got the wrong dance / wrong song. kickme Silly, old me!

PS: Good job there's Google. Yes, 'The Tapioca' was a dance choreographed for the film: 'Thoroughly Modern Millie'.

Thank you darkanza, I remembered you had to make a roux first. Perhaps I'll find some butterscotch essence in April when I'm over, perhaps a health food store?

Thank you darkanza, I remembered you had to make a roux first. Perhaps I'll find some butterscotch essence in April when I'm over, perhaps a health food store?

Getting very difficult to find in shops but is available online.

If you are going to get vanilla can I suggest this one ---- http://www.lakeland.co.uk/5650/Vanilla-Extract - was recommended by Delia Smith in one of her programmes and it all but disappeared out of the shops for ages.

Lakeland shop is 2-4 Wheelergate - you can see it when you are in the Square.

Babs, don't know where we'll be in April, most likely down in Sussex, hopefully finalizing the sale of mother in law's flat, if anyone takes a fancy to it that is.