Guilty!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

July 28 1813 An eccentric framework knitter named James Hutchinson died this day aged 93 . He never was more than seven miles from Nottingham, never drank a cup of tea in the course of his long life a

Sept 28 1818 from The date-book of remarkable and memorable events connected with Nottingham ... By John Frost Sutton . An event of the most appalling description of which the local records affo

In my working life I met many strange people. One house I visited had a room devoted to storing the occupants urine in flatop milk bottles. The rear ground floor room had bottles filled to the top,

Re the video recorder, it was invented/developed in the Carlton Square workshop of "Rutherfords" (Clarkes) , which was next door(ish) to the Blacks Head.

In the middle ages floors were bedded with straw or 'thresh' and when this was all padded down it was kept in the entrance chamber or 'hall' by a bar of wood that became known as the 'threshold'.

Hence the expreSsion 'over the threshold' coming to mean boundary or limit.

• Upvote 1

Did you know in the old days the poor people used to sell urine to the Tanning industry, and was known as" piss poor", but if you were very poor and didnt have a pot to put it in, You was said to not " have a pot to piss in"!

And did you know That in a large house hold in thier yearly bath time the head of the family would have the first bath followed by all the other adult and children so when you got to the baby the water was really dirty and dark and you couldnt see the baby in it, hence the saying " dont throw the baby out with the bath water".

• Upvote 2

In the middle ages floors were bedded with straw or 'thresh' and when this was all padded down it was kept in the entrance chamber or 'hall' by a bar of wood that became known as the 'threshold'.

Hence the expreSsion 'over the threshold' coming to mean boundary or limit.

I was taught (at school) a slightly different version to this.

The 'threshold' gets it's name from the fact that during the middle ages humans and animals lived in the same building at night time, (To stop thieves pinching their cattle) corn, wheat etc were placed in the doorway at night as the animals were herded in , and again in the morning as they were 'put out to pasture' , and that the act of the cattle etc stomping on the crops 'threshed (or separated) the wheat from the chaff' .

Re the video recorder, it was invented/developed in the Carlton Square workshop of "Rutherfords" (Clarkes) , which was next door(ish) to the Blacks Head.

Served my apprenticeship at Clark's. They were competitors with Rutherfords. No co-operation as far as I know.

I think it later became Clarkes, I just remember a lad from schools dad working there his name was Chris Clarke

Did you know.... A ten year old mattress weighs double what it did when it was new, because of the debris which is absorbed through the years.

That debris includes dust mites (their droppings and their decaying bodies), mold, millions of dead skin cells, dandruff, animal and human hair, secretions, excretions, lint, pollen, dust, soil, sand and a lot of perspiration, of which the average person loses a quart per day.

Good night!

And if you think that's bad, your carpet is up to three times heavier (Regardless of how good your Dyson is !) Kirby sales man told me that so it's got to be true......................... slywink

Compo, I've found that Alexander Bain, a Scotsman, made the first electric clock in the mid-19th century. He patented the first electric clock system in 1841. Your post (#19) seems to infer that the first electric clock is in Scotland, is this correct?.

Alexander Bain was born in Watten and his first clock now resides in teh village hall. It is viewable by appointment and is an interesting machine indeed :)

• Upvote 1

Alexander Bain is also credited with the invention of the first workable fax machine.

Talking of statistics.....Did you know that if Barbie were life-size, her measurements would be 39-23-33 and she would stand 7 feet, 2 inches tall.

St. Mary the Virgin church in the Lace Market is the oldest foundation, dating from the 8th or 9th centuries, but the building is at least the third on the site dating from 1377 to 1485. It's concidered to be the Mother church of the City of Nottingham.

• Upvote 1