Before Netherfield......

Netherfield is unusual in that it isn't an old village which has been there for centuries. It didn't exist until the railways came to that area in the 1870s, so maps before that time just show an empty space where Netherfield would later be.

Here's a map showing that space. As a reference point, the red dot is the site of the existing level crossing at Station Road/Victoria Road - the curve of the road hasn't changed. You can also see Carlton to the west and Gedling further north.

neth.jpg

• Upvote 4

Thanks for posting that, cliff. Our lives are so short, relatively speaking that we tend to think things have always been the same as we knew them. I grew up in Netherfield and it is hard to imagine how it was before all those row houses were built.

• Like 1

I notice that south of the river is East Trent Field. This is the first time I have seen this designation, on later maps this area is always referred to as The Hook.

To the residents of Lady Bay it was still known as Trent Fields up to the 70's at least. I never heard 'The Hook' mentioned at all.

holme-1.jpg

OldAce,

The topic 'Old Gravel Pits near Blotts/Holme Pierrepont?' in General Chat about Nottingham at Post # 34 by Cliff Ton has the above old map which shows the Hook across from Holme Road and it is apparent why it was so called.

On some old maps, the East Trent Fields north of Holme Pierrepont are just named Trent Fields.

Like you, I lived in Holme Road (8) and was not aware of the Hook until coming onto Nottstalgia. Plus, I always thought the fields across from Holme Road were the Trent Fields along towards Adbolton and Holme Pierrepont. Of course, the top end of Holme Road from the canal east were the Boots Sports Fields.

Perhaps Cliff Ton might post a map that shows a more detailed map with names. I am not in the same league as Cliff Ton and cannot copy OldMaps as much as I try!

Perhaps Cliff Ton might post a map that shows a more detailed map with names. I am not in the same league as Cliff Ton and cannot copy OldMaps as much as I try!

Trevor S, it's not just you!. Old Maps used to be great until some time last year when they restricted what you could get from their output. I either adjust them using various graphic programs, or I happen to have a decent map of the area.

Now we are talking about Lady Bay and Holme Pierrepont, I've realigned the map I was using. This is 1840s, and some of the names may not mean much today.

holme-2.jpg

Thanks Cliff Ton.

Your map at #8 is a beauty! Strange names and Radcliffe spelt withou an 'e' on the end.

What is more interesting is the profile of the River Trent at where the weir is now located. I knew that the ponds below the cliffs at that point were leftovers from when the river used to follow a course closer to the cliffs but that expanse of water shown in your map was only seen when the river was in flood.

Even more interesting is the river in the top right of your map.....shown with a large island in the middle at a point where Stoke Bardolph would be situated.

I hadn't noticed the "island" near Stoke Bardolph, and I'm still not sure what to make of it

The 'island' is still there...note the shape,But the inside channel is partly filled in,probably when the weir was built.

12121212aa.jpg

from the other side it just looks like part of the bank walk past it many many times, used to be one of my favorite walks with the dogs from netherfield to stoke and backwhen i lived at netherfield with our dog kim and later when we lived carlton we had yellow labridor sam i would walk him down cavendish burton rd to stoke lane to stoke and then up the river bank till i got to viduct bridge netherfield to radcliff then throgh fields and up the path to netherfield and hopefully time so i got the 26 bus back to cavendish rd home .if no bus walk up victoria rd, station rd , and cavendish rd.

The 'island' is still there...note the shape,But the inside channel is partly filled in,probably when the weir was built.

Poohbear,

The island in your picture is the one created by the lock adjacent to the weir. The ponds shown have been there for years. In the winters of the 50s, I remember people used to skate on them.

The large island that Cliff Ton and I are interested in is further down the river, past Malkin Hill and near Stoke Bardolph. From memory, the land on both sides of the river at that point would have been flat.

Just goes to show you how things have changed since the 1840s.

By the way, Poohbear, if you scroll down just a tad on that aerial pic (#11), you will see Cliff Drive and right on the dog leg where it turns south is our old house! The land has 3 more houses on it now but my parents had what was then a smallholding which stretched from Cliff Drive down to the Cliff Walk. All that land north of our house was just open fields, nothing like it is now!

Have I picked the wrong bit...again? :biggrin: I take it you are on about the island a few hundred yards downstream?

burt4.jpg

In which case that takes us to this part at Stoke Bardolph.If the old map is correct then the island shown is now that piece circled.And if it is,then the land one side has been reclaimed...there is a shape to the field that lends itself to the possibility.If so,I wonder if the ferry incorporated the island as a 'stepping stone'? The distances on the old map certainly match the modern picture.

xxxxxx1.jpg

Is it just me?....Or does this 1900 picture of Stoke Bardolph Ferry show the river top right branching off and going round an island 113 years ago?

nccv000161copy.jpg

If we had the scale of Cliff Ton's 1840s map, we could determine exactly where the island was back then.

I think, and I could be wrong, that the island may well have been to the left of the river at the bottom of your picture at #14. That would tie in with the line of apparent trees or similar extending about halfway along the island in the 1840s photo. This would put the island at a point where the Malkin Hills level out onto flat pasture.

In addition, I do not think the lay out of Stoke Bardolph village has changed since the 1840s and the curves of the river match the 1840s map to the point where even the Ferry Lane is opposite the Pub. Went across that ferry a couple of times.

So, the curve of the river around that portion of land at the bottom of your Google picture would be the curve of the main flow of the river around the island.

What do you reckon, poohbear?

I reckon I'll stick with Arnold in future :biggrin: If the 'island' was where I thought this 1880s map doesn't show it...although the shape still fits...

I notice on a 1900s map it says 'liable to floods' on the right hand side of the river, maybe our early mapmaker drew his map when the area was under water. :tongue:

aaaaa123.jpg

That's where it was, poohbear. All points on the map indicate we are at the correct site.

Over 40 odd years, the smaller channel to the east of the island silted up and/or the land was reclaimed.

When I eventually get over there, we will go down to the Stoke Pub for a drink or 2/3/4!

I would have preferred to see Angelina!

At least he has stopped getting his just desserts for trying to push the poor bloody dog into the water.

You accusing Nottstalgia members of not having memories?

Who can forget the snow sliding dogs and the exhaust sniffing cat for starters. That cat was a classic!

• 10 months later...

just been having another lookat this tread and saw on the first map posted by cliftonthat near gedling house posibly were oronationwalk is now or across burton rdthere was a workhouse this is something i had never seen or heard of before.

That workhouse seems to have been on Stoke Lane.

Streetview shows a new building where that would have been. Perhaps if anyone has access to old pics of the area, there may be one of the original?

http://www.instantstreetview.com/2p9mi5z3e8as3z2sfzryz2u

Although this is interesting...

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=g3BbAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA113&lpg=PA113&dq=gedling+workhouse&source=bl&ots=TXGS9Nzjrk&sig=2KTEhTUBsziXv-qwi7mkD_-2_yQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Lr3dUuKzAsixhAfI64HoDg&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=gedling%20workhouse&f=false