Bubblewrap and I have had a difference of opinion about this year photo from Westdale Lane Juniors as we both went there , as well as Gedling School .

When I posted it many years ago , on another site I said it was from 1960 , assuming it was the final year at the juniors .

Bubblewrap thinks it was maybe a year or two before that and I must admit some of the girls on the front do look younger than 11 . Or did we just look younger then ?

Mind you he is right , when we left , there were some new bungalows built on Digby Ave beyond the playground and I can't see them there .

Some names I remember :

Dave Wilson, Michael Morris, David Wragg,Trevor Chaplin , Dave Clark ,Bobby Freeman

Gillian Elvis Carole Dickinson, Judith Wales,Ann Marchington,Susan Atherton, Christine Hall

Andrew Smith, Bruce Middleton ? Lesley Budding ,Paul Swinscoe, Michael Harold

Linda Slade, Mareen Budding, Diane Humphrey, Marylin Marks

Any more names welcome :

8509218443_e36a1dc921_c.jpg

8509217751_8649dd8a73_c.jpg

Westdale Lane Juniors Recorder Group and maybe Choir ? from the same time . Many faces are the same as the class photo but there are some extra faces I can't remember .

Bubblewrap and I have had a difference of opinion about this year photo from Westdale Lane Juniors as we both went there , as well as Gedling School .

When I posted it many years ago , on another site I said it was from 1960 , assuming it was the final year at the juniors .

Bubblewrap thinks it was maybe a year or two before that and I must admit some of the girls on the front do look younger than 11 . Or did we just look younger then ?

Mind you he is right , when we left , there were some new bungalows built on Digby Ave beyond the playground and I can't see them there .

Some names I remember :

Dave Wilson, Michael Morris, David Wragg,Trevor Chaplin , Dave Clark ,Bobby Freeman

Gillian Elvis Carole Dickinson, Judith Wales,Ann Marchington,Susan Atherton, Christine Hall

Andrew Smith, Bruce Middleton ? Lesley Budding ,Paul Swinscoe, Michael Harold

Linda Slade, Mareen Budding, Diane Humphrey, Marylin Marks

Any more names welcome :

8509218443_e36a1dc921_c.jpg

That's me second row up second from left (Andrew Smith) Laughing as usual :)

• Upvote 1

Must have been a summertime photo as the girls are wearing sandals.

Yes they were usually taken towards the end of Summer term .

Another name I have just remembered , Paul Bakewell on the back row and the girl in the bright patterned dress ? Robinson . Could be Linda Robinson ?

I cant see if you have a book under your arm?

Or have you just negotiated a good deal on som Notts maps? :)

As I remember he was always a happy little soul !

Actually I bet I was wearing sandals too . Can any from that era , remember the excitement of getting a new pair of brown sandals with clean white spongy soles ?

Mind you after kicking a tennis ball round a playground , they soon got scuffed !

I went to Hazel Grove junior school (up near top of Westdale lane) but do remember some of the names mentioned, so maybe they went on to Gedling School later ? where I attended from 59-63.

Trevor Chaplin was my wifes younger brothers mate I think. The Buddings definitely went to Gedling as I remember a Maureen Budding and her brother(s).

I went to Hazel Grove junior school (up near top of Westdale lane) but do remember some of the names mentioned, so maybe they went on to Gedling School later ? where I attended from 59-63.

Trevor Chaplin was my wifes younger brothers mate I think. The Buddings definitely went to Gedling as I remember a Maureen Budding and her brother(s).

Yes Maureen and Leslie Budding were in my class at Gedling . Can't remember another brother .

I have just had a note from Diane Humphrey who is on the front row of both pics (and now lives in Australia) and she remembers the photos being taken and thinks it may have been as early as 1957 .

She has also reminded me that it was Pamela Robinson (not Linda) and the girl next to her was called Janice Brown . There is another girl in the recorder picture 4th row back , 4th from right called Dulcie ?

Can any from that era , remember the excitement of getting a new pair of brown sandals with clean white spongy soles ?

No but I can remember those dreadful molded plastic sandals!

I have just had a note from Diane Humphrey who is on the front row of both pics (and now lives in Australia)

Sounds like a good prospect for a lady Ex Pat member, more lady members would make Babs happy :)

No but I can remember those dreadful molded plastic sandals!

Sounds like a good prospect for a lady Ex Pat member, more lady members would make Babs happy :)

OK Mick , I'll pass your comment on !

it was just a matter of curiosity realy mick dont bother me being suronded by blokes i always have been one way or another apart from when we were all at home more girls than boys in our house but when i was young always more lads my age in our part of netherfield later in my teens and got into biking always about4 guys to every gal then now piggy and two sons still out numbered but i can still hold my home

• 4 weeks later...

Another bit about Westdale Lane juniors from January 1966 . Not really about the story but more for the picture , as some of those tots will be in their mid 50s now .

8599442407_36be683b34_z.jpg

8600545238_24b7b385db_z.jpg

8600545002_c06acf3433.jpg

• 3 years later...

I too went to Westdale Lane and Gedling Schools, a year below DavidW. I can add a few names to the recorder group. Middle back row, tallish wearing a white blouse is Valerie Wheldon sister to Stephen Wheldon who was in my year. 2nd row from back 2nd from right is Sheila Hall, curly hair, next to Anne Marchington. 2nd left from Anne is Isabel Rowson . 3rd row from back second in may be Christine Whalley, my year. Front row 3rd from left may be Barbara Lee? my year, twin to Maureen and 2nd from right front row Eileen Rowson sister to Isabel., my year. I remember some of the year above as we went to Guides at St, James' Church.Valerie, Anne, Christine, Isabel, Sheila, Eileen and Christine.

The school photo I recognise David Clark I think he went on to the High School. So many faces ring a bell? You mention a Dulcie, I knew a Dulcie Bartram could that be her?

Angela , not sure on Dulcie's second name, that was passed on to me . I don't remember Sheila Hall either. Never realised Steve Wheldon had a sister !

Thanks for the additional info though . One day someone (or their descendants) searching the internet may bump into this thread !

Bubblewrap and DavidW I've been mulling over the year of the Westdale photos. Clearly the youngest children on the recorder group were in my year so I think maybe it is 1958 as some of my friends' older siblings are also on the photo. Or 1959! I have a Westdale Lane photo somewhere and 1A1 at Gedling in summer 1962. I'll look them out.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Morning all. 

I went to both the infants (wooden hut) circa 1962 and juniors until 1968. My mum taught at the infants school from 1968. 

I remember the tall, black heaters, I think they may have been oil fired that was in the cloakroom between the classrooms. See link as the screenshot is too big to be allowed. https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aladdin-Vintage-Portable-Paraffin-Heat/143098997966?ul_ref=http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=2&toolid=10040&campid=5338478017&customid=CjwKCAjw0ZfoBRB4EiwASUMdYVn9g8uC52UYqWSElkMvNiqDfwltpUo-VZIXMJ57Z_fuW6Zuk9hLQBoCkpsQAvD_BwE&lgeo=0&vectorid=229508&item=143098997966&srcrot=710-53481-19255-0&rvr_id=2009406232572&rvr_ts=5f7933a916b0a16d90d27709ffe3f486&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true&pageci=3bf80099-45b5-44c8-ac0e-6ca49de77203 

• Like 1

Welcome Ruth .

Not sure if it's my imagination but I seem to remember a roaring coal or coke fired stove in the corner of the classroom .

It's a wonder we didn't all fall asleep !

• 2 years later...
On 7/22/2016 at 5:55 PM, Angela Helen said:

I too went to Westdale Lane and Gedling Schools, a year below DavidW. I can add a few names to the recorder group. Middle back row, tallish wearing a white blouse is Valerie Wheldon sister to Stephen Wheldon who was in my year. 2nd row from back 2nd from right is Sheila Hall, curly hair, next to Anne Marchington. 2nd left from Anne is Isabel Rowson . 3rd row from back second in may be Christine Whalley, my year. Front row 3rd from left may be Barbara Lee? my year, twin to Maureen and 2nd from right front row Eileen Rowson sister to Isabel., my year. I remember some of the year above as we went to Guides at St, James' Church.Valerie, Anne, Christine, Isabel, Sheila, Eileen and Christine.

The school photo I recognise David Clark I think he went on to the High School. So many faces ring a bell? You mention a Dulcie, I knew a Dulcie Bartram could that be her?

Steve Wheldon is third from right behind recorders

ian Fairwood

• Like 1