savages yard carlton

Hiya,Can anyone help me please with my family research and tell me where Savages Yard Carlton is or was, as i have researched my ancestors, and they lived there at sometime in the late 1800s,and also if my family name Comery has any connection with the Comery road i have seen at the top of Carlton Hill, it seems a coincidence as my ancestors all Comery's were from Carlton.Hope someone can help.

Need a bit more info of nearest road to find Savages Yard.If you've found the name on a census it will more than likely give more detail on the page.

PS Checking further I don't think I can find Carlton area in enough detail at that date...don't know if anyone else can.

Can't help on the Savages Yard part but from the British Newspaper Archive from 1927 , there are a couple of adverts , see below, mentioning a Comery and Duckworth . Were they the builders of the houses and so one of them got a road named after him ?

CARLTON ROAD, Comery-avenue. Newly-erected detached Houses, two sitting, three bedrooms, bath, electric light, close to cars, road made, price from £S9s.—Comery and Duckering. Evening Post." lE**

IMMEDIATE Possession, freehold, Rock Villa, Ellaroad, West Bndgford, entrance, £500.—Comery and Duckering. ,Nottingham Evening Post East Midlands, England

16/04/1927

• Upvote 1

Thankyou for your help,it looks like my ancestor was a builder,my family and i always joked the avenue was named after us and it has turned out to be true,not as famous as we thought tho,i will have to look through my research for Savages Yard because i am new to making a family tree and i can't find where i got the info from.thanks again for your help.

I've also looked at all the places I usually look, and haven't come up with a Savages Yard in Carlton.

Anything called xxx Yard is going to be just off a Road or Street, so if you can give us another road name which is in the vicinity, we may come up with a something.

Having a quick geek on the 1881 Census it would seem its adjacent to the side of the Windsor Castle pub on Main Street .

The Census lists a number of houses on Main Street , then there are 3 families in Savages Yard and then it goes back to Main Street and the first property is the pub . Guess what the surname of the landlord of the Windsor Castle is in 1881...........Savage !!!

1881 Census
Savages Yard, Carlton
Basford
RG11 piece 3338 folio 27 page 14

• Upvote 1

hi carni i went to school withand was good friends with a marilyn comery and she had a sister june they lived just of forister st in netherfield june still lives in netherfield and maralyn just off jessops lane in gedlingdont know if they related to you but could well be as i am sure there dad was a carlton lad.

babs

I can't really remember the Windsor Castle pub as it was but looks like it was another casualty of Tesco

These two links show the old pub . The horse and cart one may well be in Savages Yard ?

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC002183&pos=2&action=zoom

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC001394&pos=2&action=zoom

Recent Streetview of the pub looking down towards the Council Offices

8518380334_0afeb2437e.jpg

• Upvote 1

i think that horse is comming out of what used to be the old back yard and bear garden spent many anhour or to in there mid to late 60s.

leapers the same family who became coal merchants and delivered our coal but think they also still deliverd other things to.

Hi,Thanks every one for all the help finding Savages yard and also the news that i may have distant family living in Netherfield and also Jessops Lane Gedling,I have two sisters who still live on the Phoenix Estate,I will pass that on to them,they may even know each other without realising the connection,I know my ancestors Frederick and Sarah Comery lived at 49 Arthur St Netherfield in 1901 and Marhill Road Carlton in 1911 so there may be a connection with the two. friends you have mentioned.I think there were a lot off Comery's around Carlton and Snienton in the 1800s.

I went to junior school with a Stephen Comery. He lived on Manor road on the opposite side to the library, but moved away just after we left St Pauls juniors in 72.

It was only a month or so back that I posted some stuff about that area, we were trying to find another road in that area too. Windsor Avenue was the little twitchell that ran down the back of the pub between the old Foxhill Road and Carlton Square, turning to Midland Road as it got to the last 50 yards by the old grocers shop and newsagents