Apologies if its been discussed before .

I have searched but can't see any reference to this website in OZ about St. Pauls school at the bottom of Carlton Hill

http://ozhoo.com.au/~StPauls/

It carries a huge amount of info and many photos from 1920as through to closure and it's demolition in 1983 to make way for the Tesco .

My dad is in the (grainy) school photo of 1922 .

I had an email conversation many years ago about this photo and was given the names of these pupils by Mel the webmaster :

Back Row L to R -: Edna Young, Florrie Gibbs, Rene Rockley, Edna Best, Emma Wollacot,

May Neal, Millie Wheldon, Dorris Farnsworth, Bob Dyer, Ernest Patchet.

Third Row L to R -: Leslie Mathias, Len Straw, Ernest Shaw, Jack Reddish,
Herbert Hickling, Arthur Marriot, Joe Gosson, Lewis Ridley, Les Thraves,
Stan Adams, Stan Sayers.

Second Row L to R -: George Hallam, George Hillibrant, Bill Wilson, EdwinLamb,

Arthur Wayman, Sam Consterdine, Bob Whittle, Joe Buxton, Albert Kerry,Norman Myers, Horace Henson.

Front Row L to R -: Maisie Peet, Win Key, Gladys Hibbert, Ike Lang, Herbert Jones,

George Steele, Crowy Smith, Lily Brooks, Florrie Wright, Lily Glue,
Jenny Dyer, Florrie Drury.
8517001340_f506bc9c6f_z.jpg

• Upvote 2

david in tonights nottingham evening post bygons page about st paul school by a former tainee teacher there who later hecam head of ashwell st school netherfield christine johnson who is just in the prosses of writing an article about this scool also known as carlton board school and later became i am sure she would be interested in the photo. her mother also taught at the school for many years and both she and her brother were former pupils

david in tonights nottingham evening post bygons page about st paul school by a former tainee teacher there who later hecam head of ashwell st school netherfield christine johnson who is just in the prosses of writing an article about this scool also known as carlton board school and later became i am sure she would be interested in the photo. her mother also taught at the school for many years and both she and her brother were former pupils

Thanks Babs , I think she already knows about the site . If you click on the link , her name is second in the left -hand menu and if you click that , there is a photo of her and thanking her for her help .

But its a co-incidence that there should be that article the same day I posted the link .

thats ok david just thought i would give it a mention of course it was early this morning when i put it on and did not go on the link , met christine a phew times when i picked up my nephew and nieces from netherfield school.also met her at the school reunion at ashewell st just before it was demolished

Here is another picture . Looks like the boys are a few years older but the teacher /master looks like the same one .

Maybe St.Pauls school had its own allotment . If you look you can just see the outline of the backs of some houses behind the trees .

I know my dad is second from the right with the stripey tie but without studying closely from the first photo don't know any names . Though the lad in the middle of the photo has a distinctive face and looks like Crowy Smith from the first image .

8518525650_62798fb44a_c.jpg

• Upvote 1

I attempted to contact that site on a few occations with info on the school, but never heard any replies, so I don't know if anybody still monitors it.

• 3 months later...

I am putting this photo under the St.Pauls banner as I am not sure which school the older pupils from Carlton went on to .

There could be two reasons for us having this photo , either its my father in the grey double-breasted suit , middle row , second from right or it could be my uncle , seated on the floor bottom right.....either way there is a Carlton connection .

9017676001_34b3b79b98_h.jpg

Below is a better image of the class of 1922 . Known names listed in post #1 . Does it look like the teacher in the centre of the above is the older version of the teacher far right in the below image ?

8613841847_01f529264b_b.jpg

• Upvote 2

Great photographs. I can remember the school well. I can recall when it closed down in the early 1980's. I went to St Augustines (now the Sacred Heart) in Carlton in the 1980's.

Any one else think the character 5th from left ,2nd row looks like Bill Sykes? Also,is it just me ,but none of them seem to be smiling,and there are a few really `hard looking customers' the boys look pretty tough as well.

• 3 years later...
On 2013-3-1 at 0:15 AM, piggy and babs said:

this scool also known as carlton board school

St Paul's Carlton and Carlton Board School were two different schools.  Board School (later known as Carlton Central) was on Burton Road - St Paul's was on Carlton Hill.

• 2 years later...

I was at St. Pauls School from 1949 until 1955. My mother and aunts also attended this school. I remember Mr. Richards our headmaster who being a Welshman always took pride in his choir. As I could not sing, when the choir went across to St. Pauls church on the many occasions we did such as Ascension Day and Empire Day as well as at Christmas I was always asked to read the lesson as I had a good reading voice and I assume they did not want to leave out as my singing voice was not up to par.

Wendy Wild (Lomas)

• Like 1