How lucky am I today? Just received confirmation that I have won over £615,000 on the Spanish lottery and I've never even bought a ticket!! All I've got to do is send them a copy of my passport to confirm who I am and the money is all mine!! thumbsdown

I'll arrange for a right knees up when the money is in my bank and you're all invited. :jumping:

• Upvote 1

Heck! There could be a problem! Apparently for "confidential reasons" I'm not supposed to tell anybody until I've actually got the money, so everyone please keep schtum. . yada

I can never understand why people fall for these scams. There has been so much publicity regarding this that surely the alarm bells start ringing when they become a potential victim. Unfortunately, some of the really old people don't realise they are potential victims.

• Upvote 1

Here's my Scammer baiting activities :)

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4256

Sorry its in the Private 'Members only' discussion area.

PRIVATE Members only discussions.

For material you might not want to share with the World.
Not viewable by anyone except Members. Not indexed by Google or Searchbots.

If you dont have many posts, you will not be able to see any discussions in there.

I got one when I was selling my airplane. Appeared to be a legitimate e-mail, but a lady claimed she wanted to buy the plane for $5000 OVER the asking price because it was a surprise for her husband's birthday but she need to buy it NOW!

So, I sent her a reply stating I would be delighted to sell it to her, and that I was using the AOPA Escrow service to make sure I got the money, and she got the airplane (the service actually protects both buyer and seller). I was not surprised that I did not hear back from her!

Stephen, why not? Surely you don't think it's a scam?

A scam? Of course not - whatever next? Did I ever mention the three or four emails per day that I receive. purporting to come from random banks, and urging me to tell them my details so that they can unfreeze my (non-existent) account with them, which has been locked owing to some trifling problem that has arisen with it? Naturally, being an honest man, I reply to them all, giving them all of my personal information down to credit cards, pin numbers, national insurance number, date of birth and bloodgroup. A scam indeed! People don't do that sort of thing, now do they?

Don't laugh - my mother-in-law DID respond to one of those e-mails, even though she knew she did not have an account with them. Next thing they knew, all their actual bank accounts had been compromised by identity thieves!

I can never understand why people fall for these scams. There has been so much publicity regarding this that surely the alarm bells start ringing when they become a potential victim. Unfortunately, some of the really old people don't realise they are potential victims.

Yes it's the old folk who worry me too. My dad is convinced he has won thousands and I'm afraid he is sending money for the "admin" costs...no matter how many times I tell him its a scam! I've even sent his address details to TPS to stop the junk mail (and cold callers) but unfortunately he has replied to some so they just keep on targetting him. I've told mum to throw the mail away before he sees it, but dad normally picks up the mail first anyway. :(

I hadn't realised these scams (boilerhouse?) were still being perpetrated on gullible/and/or/desperate folk and felt that others should be alerted to this. I didn't know where to begin so initially rang the non- urgent police 'phone but was ignominiously brushed off with no suggestions!

One of the scams that I regularly receive by phone is the "You have a problem with your computer. Is it switched on?" I just say "One moment please, I'll get my Father" and put the phone to one side and carry on with what I'm doing. They don't stay on the phone long but I just hope that I p*ss them off as much as they p*ss me off.

We treat all cold callers to the "hold on a moment please"...my daughter goes one further and plays "greensleeves" from her keyboard to them!! :jumping:

• 2 weeks later...