Just read this story that the BBC lottery show on Saturday night wasn't quite as it seemed and some of the contestants were cheated out of £22k

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/421386/National-Lottery-show-cheated-us-out-of-22k

Whats worse is that they are doubling the price of a ticket up to £2 shortly . How can they justify such an increase ?

OK they are increasing the lesser prizes from £10 to £25 etc but some prizes are actually reduced , for 5 numbers down to £1000 and how hard is that to get .

I know its stupid to play but I don't get much excitement ! I have a little dabble each week and have 2 lots of numbers and will now drop one of them so they won't be any better off from me.

I don't know if they can tinker with numbers drawn but I do know I don't have anything like the number of wins that I used to get .

Quite often a win would keep me going for a number of weeks in stakes but in the last few years only the rare win . Anyone else noticed less wins recently ?

Whats worse is that they are doubling the price of a ticket up to £2 shortly . How can they justify such an increase ?

Because they can...Gambling like the other habits,smoking and drinking...those afflicted will always find the money to fund their habit.

Many people that have regular numbers will feel bound to continue because of the fear of their numbers coming up if they don't enter.

Then there is the backbone of the lottery...those on benefits who seem to spend a disproportionate amount on gambling.Because in their minds it's the only way they will ever 'get lucky'

No wonder the gangsters in the old days ran the 'numbers rackets' Governments were quick to realise that they should copy the crooks to make big money out of the suckers.

I buy a lottery ticket each week, costs about UKP5.50. Often don't checked the numbers until I am due to buy my next one. Being mathematically minded I am well aware of the odds of having a win, but strange as it may sound it's got nothing to do with winning. IT'S ABOUT DREAMING.

Last week there was a $20M jackpot. Whenever I was sitting idly doing nothing I would day-dream about what I would do if I won. A million here, a million there. People who had been particularly nice to me over the last few years would get a few thousands each. Charities whom I felt did a good job might get half a million or so. Some nice people down the street who were doing it tough would definitely get a handout.

It is a supremely beautiful feeling to sit here in the Winters' sun and dream about what I would do if I had won the $20M. I will turn 70 at the end of the year, so I won't be needing much for myself. My daughter, my ex and my goddaughter would have each got new homes. Fully furnished of course. Could do a trip back to the UK - first class, but don't travel well these days.

So for the princely sum of UKP 5.50 per week I can get hours of enjoyment. So it's not gambling. I know I won't win, it's about buying dreams. I have never ever put money in a pokie machine. Now that really is stupid. Gambling is when you lay out small amounts of money to win equally small amounts. Buying dreams is when you lay out small amounts of money with the potential to reap huge amounts that could make your dreams come true. So no, I don't gamble, but I do buy a weekly lottery ticket.

Hugs

Alison

• Upvote 7

Going back to scams, I once had a call from a son of the mystic east who said since I paid my electric bill on time, I was entitled to a piece of kit that I only needed to plug in to save on future bills. He went on for quite a while about this and that, even saying I had a young sounding voice for someone my age. Hmmm! Anyway, after some time he said he only needed my bank details to complete the transaction, at which point I told him to send the kit and then I would pay for it etc. I put the phone down. Needless to say, I heard nothing more. I can't wait to hear the next angle of approach!

• 2 weeks later...

SWMBo says that you have always won the lottery, until teh time you check the results. At this point you are going to win the next one. As already said, you are buying into a dream.

My chances of winning the big one on the Premium bonds are about double that of the lottery AND I don't lose my money every time there is a draw.

• 6 years later...