This station closed 50 years ago today. Was there any ceremony, protest at the time of closure or was it left to die peacefully? Are there any pictures available from that day?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

here's a shot from 1928ish showing the railway sweeping left passing below Brooklyn Road

Bulwell Common Station - bulwell c1969 looking towards broomhill road and st albans road junction in the distance

I am writing my memoires for my grandchildren and am currently reminiscing about my time spent at Henry Mellish. I was one of many Mellish boys on the School playing fields when the crash occurred. We

I've never seen any photos of the day of closure. With a combination of Beeching and the end of the GC, it would have just been one of many stations closing in those years and I doubt it would've been noticed by anyone apart from people living nearby who would now have quieter lives.

• 3 weeks later...

Just checking.....we are talking about the station which was half way along Vernon Road; line went over the road on a bridge. It changed its name a few times in the early years, but eventually settled on Basford and Bulwell.

catch-1.jpg

It's name was changed in early BR days to Basford North. The map shows that the road changed from Vernon Road, Basford to Highbury Road, Bulwell at the railway bridge, we always called it the Northern Bridge.

The map shows the road over the bridge from Saxondale Drive to Park Lane with a line over each end. This bridge was blocked to vehicles but it could be walked over, we callec it the "Broken Bridge". Why was it closed? What was wrong with it? It was not very old built about 1898.

Thas the one Ta.!!

Tho it says 'baths on the wrong side of the road....they are the building opposite....now a 'gospel house of worship'.....do they pray in the deep end ???

The map shows the road over the bridge from Saxondale Drive to Park Lane with a line over each end. This bridge was blocked to vehicles but it could be walked over, we called it the "Broken Bridge". Why was it closed? What was wrong with it? It was not very old built about 1898.

I assume that is the bridge which is now Brooklyn Road on modern maps. It first appears at the end of the c19th and seems to go from nowhere to nowhere!

brook-2.jpg

Maybe it was originally only designed to take animals and humans. When cars appeared on the scene, it was realised that the bridge wasn't strong enough for them, so the original bridge had to continue to be restricted to pedestrians. Only later in the 1960s/70s (?) was it strengthened and reinforced.

The last map is very interesting. The bridge must have been built when the railway was built about 1898, I didn't realise that Brooklyn Road did not exist in its entireity until the council estate was built (1930's?). The Broomhill Road end of Brooklyn road was older, around 1900. When I was a child the houses on the hill near Broomhill Road were numbered from Broomhill Road i.e. low numbers, they were later renumbered with high numbers.

Your conjecture about its limited use is probably correct but it was quite a wide enough for a lane each way farmers crossings were normally much narrower.

Was it actually strengthened or just demolished when the railway closed in about 1968?

What a great picture. It shows how quickly Nottingham was expanding. Most of the fields in the photo were built on in the next few years. The bridge looks open then as far as I can see.

Thats almost how it was. I am not sure which was taken first. The WD was deliberate as it sat there to be snapped, the electric took me by suprise, I was lucky to get my camera up and click.

here's a shot from 1928ish showing the railway sweeping left passing below Brooklyn Road

BrooklynRoad_zps6af599a1.jpg

do you have anymore pics? hopefully taken a little more to the right of this one?

the reason i ask is because above brooklyn bridge, on park lane there is a row of houses that would have been just past the standard of england, which mostly seem to have been demolished for the gayhurst estate except for the one at the top end which is still there now at an odd alignment to the rest of the houses that were built around it, that i always thought must have been on a corner of the old footpath.

now i've also been told that in the middle of the old allotments between park lane and the GCR footbridge was a biggish house in its own grounds, there seems to be two houses on the map in the middle, and at a rough guess the upper one is on the site of the house we moved into in 70/71.