It's our eldests 40th this coming weekend and we went to St.Ives on Saturday to try and find him a painting of the place , as he lives near London but loves St.Ives. It was bitterly cold but luckily a few galleries were open .

After trailing round the town we happened on the indoor arcade , near the lifeboat station that houses a number of artists .

We soon found that genuine oils were out of our price range but think we know (probably wrongly !) what style , son would like .

We were drawn to a studio at the very end of the arcade where there were signed limited edition prints of St.Ives townscapes and though still not cheap , were more what we wanted to pay .

The artist said "Bit cold for St.Ives today" and as soon as he spoke I recognised the accent and asked where he was from . "Nottingham" says he and we replied "Us to" "What part " he asked .

Mrs W replied " Well the last place we lived was Nuthall "

Artist says "I was from Kimberley but before that Annesley , moved about 30 years ago "

Really nice chap called Malcolm Bowmer . So if you are in St Ives anytime ........

http://www.shape-of-the-art.co.uk/

Anyone meet any Notts folk in strange places ?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to the opticians in Asda ,St Austell today . After my test , lovely friendly young lady was showing me the frames . Familiar accent , so I said "Are you from Nottingham ? " Yes was the answer W

Went to France 2 years ago, after spending a morning looking around Dinan we called at a cafe' for a meal and were pleased that the waitress was English and could understand our order.............We

Met a girl from Hucknall in a pub in Johannesburg.Turned out our mum's were working together at Queens med.Apparently i disgraced her family cause i'm from the medders (snobs). Well 30 years later 2

once sat on a bus in london when visiting piggys sister when kids were little me talking to eldest suddenly ldy sat behide us asked eexcuse me are you from nottingham yes sez i she said not heard that accent or those words in ages. before that i would not have said i had a strong accent. she told me it was thewords i used more than how i said it

Just after we moved here (Pentwater), we were having lunch in a bar in the village. There was only one other couple in the bar, and it was obvious they were English. I told them I was from Nottingham and asked where they were from - "Carlton"!

Indeed it is! The couple's son actually lives in the village. Considering we only have about 500 year-round residents, it is surprising how many Brits we have - I now know of four, not including me!

I met a woman who actually knew me in Barbados ! I also bumped into a mate in Florida (Whilst having breakfast in Kissimee with our very own Mick2me) Last week in a bar in the middle of nowhere in Spain i bumped into a couple from Carlton and a couple from Kirkby in Ashfield !

You forgot about The most southernmost point of the USA in Keywest Ian.

Mudgie49, have you been to the Copa Cabana @ KW

No, not made Key West yet Mick,four years ago we got as far south as Miami,only to be told the Keys were being evacuated,due to a hurricane moving into the Gulf.

While driving through Kentucky some years ago we stopped at a motel.I was talking to my wife,when the guy behind the desk said, in the best Nottingham English," bloody eck.if your from Notts the stay is on the house".He was born and bred in Hyson Green,and came to the States in 1976,and had never been back for a visit.

Just remembered another couple of "small world" happenings
I worked as a Saturday lad at the GEM Supercentre at West Bridgford from the very beginning and there was a girl that I sometimes had coffee with who worked for the Boots concession there .

Move ahead some 20 years and now having a family , had moved to Cornwall and when our eldest started school , the first teacher I saw at that school was that same "girl" from Boots at GEM .

She said that yes she had worked at GEM but didn't remember me at all , so I didn't make much of an impression there !

Another coincidence was when we opened our own small shop in the same town , there was a very attractive traffic warden pounding the beat outside .

I saw her day after day for weeks going up and down the main street .

Dressed as she was , in uniform , didn't recognise her and didn't realise that I had actually been her boss on the car accessory section at GEM /ASDA .

She actually came in the shop one day, took her hat off and said..."I've been dying to ask for ages.....are you David W....it's me Heidi from GEM " ....we became her regular tea - stop after that .

Think I've mentioned this previously on here but I was touring Scandinavia many years ago and washed up in the Finnish capital, Helsinki for a couple of days. Walking through the city with my pal we heard a familiar accent from a couple of lads walking a few feet in front of us and as we were passing asked where they were from.

'Nottingham' came the reply - they were living in the city and playing in a band in Helsinki.

Ah, so are we - whereabouts in Nottingham are you from, we asked?

'Arnold' they stated.

So are we, whereabouts, we said?

'Calverton Road' they laughed. Meaning the two lads we had bumped into came from less than a mile from where me and my mate lived.

A few years ago I was looking at an old mini in a parking lot near work. The owner walked up and said "neat car innit? " I asked him where he was from only to learn it was Long Eaton and that I knew his sister - I was at school with her and he was at school with my sister!

Many years ago we had our pub lliving accommodation redecorated but being busy did not have much time to speak to the painters except for letting them in and the staff giving them tea and cheese cobs etc.

2 weeks later we were at reception in a Hotel in India when I heard this voice say - Hello Mrs.......... what are you doing here? The painters foreman and his wife on the same tour as us.

Met a girl from Hucknall in a pub in Johannesburg.Turned out our mum's were working together at Queens med.Apparently i disgraced her family cause i'm from the medders (snobs). Well 30 years later 2 kids and a continental shift we're still together

• Upvote 2

No, not made Key West yet Mick,four years ago we got as far south as Miami,only to be told the Keys were being evacuated,due to a hurricane moving into the Gulf.

You ain't missed owt !

It's just an over priced excuse to rip off the tourists (As they have a captive audience) If ever you do go down there fill up your tank in Miami (Or thereabouts) as it's about 10 cents a gallon dearer down there IMMSC

Way back in 1989 when I was working for Greenpeace, I was sent to Prince William Sound in Alaska, because the Exxon Valdez oil spill was in full swing

While in a bar in Anchorage one evening, having a drink I heard a Nottm accsent, after a while, I got talking to the voice, and I found he worked for an American oil company, and had immigrated to the USA in the 1970's, and before then lived in Sherwood.................

In the early 1960s, when I was just a kid, I was in London on holiday with my mum and dad. Somewhere in central London we went into a small shop - probably a newsagent or off-licence - and I must've said something while we were in there. When I spoke, the lady behind the counter immediately looked to my parents and said "you're all from Nottingham aren't you?"

Being about 8 years old at the time, I was always amazed that as soon as I opened my mouth, a total stranger in London could tell I was from Nottingham.

My Russian next door neighbour's boyfriend in Addis Ababa used to play fiddle with accordianist Ian in a longsword dance team in Guisborough. What's this got to do with Notts.? Well, Ian moved to Nottingham in about 1979 and in 1980 joined a a Notts. based Morris dance side in which I was a member.

I caught the thrice weekly stagecoach from North Watten to Wick (Caithness) a fortnight ago. There were two others on the bus - one a local and the other a lady from Beeston! She and her husband came up to Caithness for a holiday and liked it so much that they retired here.

There is an arty-farty shop in Brixham, Devon, with a Nottinghamian proprietor.

In the early 1960s, when I was just a kid, I was in London on holiday with my mum and dad. Somewhere in central London we went into a small shop - probably a newsagent or off-licence - and I must've said something while we were in there. When I spoke, the lady behind the counter immediately looked to my parents and said "you're all from Nottingham aren't you?"

Being about 8 years old at the time, I was always amazed that as soon as I opened my mouth, a total stranger in London could tell I was from Nottingham.

I've done that when we ran our shop in Cornwall . Except I used to ask "What part of Nottingham are you from ? " 5 out of 6 times I would be right but on occasions the odd one would be from Leicester or somtimes D*rby . Some would say they didn't realise they had an accent !

I know its not exactly Nottinghamians in odd places, but last Monday I travelled from Moscow to Nottingham in one day. I suspect I was the only person in Nottingham to set foot in Red Square and Market Square in the same day!

Like any true Nottinghamian I managed to get a pint in in both places!

Well done that man! The best I can offer to that is Moscow - Manchester in one day via LHR and Aeroflot, but Red Square was the previous day.

Another wierd occurence .

We have always passed the time of day with our regular post-lady . She's been our regular postie for years but she's always in a hurry so no time to chat long , normally .

However , just bumped in to her , shopping in our local Lidl and and went from talking about the freezing weather etc. to my wife suddenly saying to her "Where are you from "

"Nottingham" she says, "well Sherwood really "

She said that her parents had run a number of shoe shops , think it was by the name of Oldburys , they had one on Mansfield Road , Sherwood , another in Broxtowe , another in Denman Street until they retired .

Husband was from top of Westdale Lane area too .