There used to be a Nettie Spendlove (Jeanette) maybe, who worked at Halls Garage on Lilac Grove in Beeston Rylands. This would be late 60's early 70's. Dad and I always got our petrol there.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to the opticians in Asda ,St Austell today . After my test , lovely friendly young lady was showing me the frames . Familiar accent , so I said "Are you from Nottingham ? " Yes was the answer W

Went to France 2 years ago, after spending a morning looking around Dinan we called at a cafe' for a meal and were pleased that the waitress was English and could understand our order.............We

Met a girl from Hucknall in a pub in Johannesburg.Turned out our mum's were working together at Queens med.Apparently i disgraced her family cause i'm from the medders (snobs). Well 30 years later 2

I remember a Sue Parnham who lived on Garfield Road around 1965, she would be around 60 now.

There were two Sues who were friends, ones parents had a shop (grocers?) may have been Parnham's?

I just entered Parnham into Ancestry.com to see what comes up and there are such a lot of people with that name. I am no expert I only use it for my "Family Tree". One name comes up as Maurice Grenville Parnham, living in Burton Joyce, until he died in 1989, But it looks like that family name was around in my time in Nottingham and before, Perhaps it was his children who I may know the name from, The name does seem familiar, perhaps they were in the Retail business. There is quite a list of Parnhams to choose from.

• 1 year later...

Went to the opticians in Asda ,St Austell today . After my test , lovely friendly young lady was showing me the frames .

Familiar accent , so I said "Are you from Nottingham ? " Yes was the answer Westdale Lane ! Think she said Lascelles Ave area . Not that far from where I was born at "Maply".

She told me she had moved 2 years ago from Nottm and whilst chatting , another chap came in to have his specs adjusted .

Heard him say "Ok duck" . Bugger me if he wasn't from

Clifton and his charming wife was from Wells Rd.!

They had moved 30 years ago about the same as us . Told them about Nottstalgia and how friendly the inhabitants were :)

• Upvote 4

Went to France 2 years ago, after spending a morning looking around Dinan we called at a cafe' for a meal and were pleased that the waitress was English and could understand our order.............We got into conversation and found that she was the daughter of a colleague I used to work with years before.......I could remember her being born and knitting her 2 matinee coats............She got me back in touch with her mother and we are still corresponding on Facebook.....A small world...

• Upvote 3
  • 6 years later...

When we lived in Bestwood Village we were on hols in Miami, got yabbering to another English couple who lived in Moorbridge Cottages, then they sat next to us on the plane coming back home..... We were on hols in Gran Canaria 3 years ago when a lady at our hotel said to my wife "you're the line dance instructor at South Normanton aren't you?" It was one of my wifes line dance pupils..... When we moved into our present house bloke next door but one said "it's you isn't it? You were on the loco's down Hucknall pit" & he was right I was. He became a good friend till he passed on 11 years ago... 

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Tonight's tea time local BBC news program in the South West was presented by Kirk England .

Best part of 40 years ago , when my son was about 8 years old , his best pal was the same Kirk England. That was when we lived at Horsendale .

We left there about that time and obviously he lost contact. 

Some 40 years later it was a surprise to see the same name crop up , doing the odd roving reporting for the BBC in the North Devon area .

Now he has been doing the "anchor" spot , presenting.

I contacted him via Twitter and though surprised ,  he confirmed he was the same chap.

Small world !

• Upvote 2