Out of the shoebox photos .

I know I am new but Nottstalgia seems really useful to me , to be able to see images of Notts that are of social importance and yet may have been hidden , unseen in cupboards for donkeys years .

So to start , I don't know much about this photo but my late mum said it was a street party at Park Road , Carlton to commemorate V.E. Day, so probably around May 1945 .

You can see where someone has written an "A" , this denotes "Gwen" and the chap against the "B" is "Mr Jones".

The modern photo below it , looking up to Burton Road , shows what looks like the same house on the right (with an extension) but the left hand side looks different , as it appears there is a house with a bay but could just be the different angles the photos are taken .

8527566895_7e0c248294_z.jpg

8531770259_8a8dc0913a_z.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not all that old as I'm only a 'young un' but thought I'd contribute a little something! Me as a baby!

Hi mummysnuggles , welcome , there are just 2 more that I have of the Standhill Rd streetparty 1977 and that's it !

However, with a bit of help from Streetview I think I have solved it. The party is not on Park Road but on Elm Avenue which is just off Park Road. Try this for comparison The house at the end is

This is a great Idea :)

Hope so . Photos like this would probably get thrown out , when I have popped my clogs .

I don't know any of the faces and yet a good few of the younger ones on it should still be around , so may be useful to someone .

It's not so much the picture of 'Uncle Albert' which means absolutely nothing to anybody except the poster...It's the backgrounds.There must be hundreds of pictures of the Black Boy out there from various dinners and weddings,and yet we have yet to see a single picture of the inside of the hotel.

If you've got old photos of cousin Nelly that you considered of no interest to anyone...please have a look at the streets and fields and railway stations behind the characters.They may be of great interest to other Nottstalgians.

• Upvote 1

We cant see the similarity in the old house and new house pic....the window is to close to the roof and too close to the edge of the building....quite a few differences if you look close.

I didn't immediately realise that the "new" photo was intended to be an update of the "old" photo. As Fynger says, there are a lot of differences. To be honest, I can't see any similarities at all. The old photo looks like it could have been taken in one of the terraces or yards which often went off the main street in those areas.

Definitely not the same view, the old photo's not wide enough to be a street, & the bay window would not have come out onto a pavement?

However, with a bit of help from Streetview I think I have solved it. The party is not on Park Road but on Elm Avenue which is just off Park Road.

Try this for comparison

parkorig.jpg

park2-2.jpg

The house at the end is the same, and the bay window makes an appearance, complete with the decorative brickwork

• Upvote 3

Cliff Ton, where are the terraced houses across the road, evident in the up to date, & obviously old enough to have been in the original?

Just out of shot on the right of the old photo - if it was one mm wider you'd see those side walls.

Limitations of Streetview make it impossible to get exactly the same framing; only other option is to go there myself with a camera, but that's a bit extreme.

Thanks Cliff Ton yes that looks more like it . Elm Avenue it is .

I did see that the roof line was different in the right hand house on the two pictures but seemed to detect a new layer of bricks as if they had raised the roof when they added an extension ., thats what threw me . Still good detective work there .!

The terrace that my Mum was born in , is still there on the left at the top of Park Road and if you look closely enough you can still just about see her initials that she carved in the brickwork apparently , probably in the 1920s

I've been looking through all the shoe boxes and you you will be relieved to hear that I can't find many with interesting back-grounds !

There are another couple more that my brother took of the mud on the un-made road at the corner of Marshall Hill Drive and Gardenia Grove at Mapperley , late 50s early 60s , with the nearest modern view I could get .

I am 100% that these are the right location thumbsup

8534745462_ec63656ffd_z.jpg

8533638729_616973f258_z.jpg

8534890250_efb2cb2677_z.jpg

8533674907_f03bdbb5e1.jpg

• Like 1

hers a thought for you david try emailing to nottingham posts bygons department asking if they can print it and ask for any info and if anyone recognizes them selfs it dose look like elm avenue to me to use to have a friend who lived on there in the 60s

Thanks Babs , thats an idea but I have found it difficult contacting The Evening Post in the past .

Doesn't seem to be a specific contact for Bygones so will send it to pictures@nottinghameveningpost and see if anything happens .

Just out of shot on the right of the old photo - if it was one mm wider you'd see those side walls.

Limitations of Streetview make it impossible to get exactly the same framing; only other option is to go there myself with a camera, but that's a bit extreme.

I stand corrected, well 'sleuthed' Cliff Ton............................& what's your problem with going to the place & taking photo's , just a short bike ride from Gamston............... :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

After a family meet up , another photo has surfaced of the street party in Carlton on V.E. Day that proves it was on Elm Avenue !

A= Albert

C= Marion Ellis

G= Ruth

The other letters refer to their outfits rather than naming them .

8614948992_d0468d3678_z.jpg

• Upvote 1

Dunno what happened there. I saw the first post, (Only Davids and Micks reply were visible) realized straight away (Being a Carlton lad) that David had it from the wrong angle, so I dove into Google Earth to lift the shot, uploaded it to Flickr, downloaded the link , came back on to post it and all the other posts had appeared showing where it was too !!

Dunno what happened there. I saw the first post, (Only Davids and Micks reply were visible) realized straight away (Being a Carlton lad) that David had it from the wrong angle, so I dove into Google Earth to lift the shot, uploaded it to Flickr, downloaded the link , came back on to post it and all the other posts had appeared showing where it was too !!

Thanks for posting the updated photo Mick , its saved me a job . Looks like the original street sign . Wonder what the black disc is thats just above the street name ? Its on both images .

One of those fire hydrant thingys.

fire.jpg

Thanks , still not really sure what that means.......is there (was there) an adjacent connection to the main water supply on the pavement outside then ?

This confused me initially .

Its a V E street party for Park Avenue, Carlton (not Park Road) .

It looks a posher street and having googled it , see its off Redland Grove .

http://www.diomedia.com/imageDetails.do?imageId=4236967