Out of the shoebox photos .

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not all that old as I'm only a 'young un' but thought I'd contribute a little something! Me as a baby!

Hi mummysnuggles , welcome , there are just 2 more that I have of the Standhill Rd streetparty 1977 and that's it !

However, with a bit of help from Streetview I think I have solved it. The party is not on Park Road but on Elm Avenue which is just off Park Road. Try this for comparison The house at the end is

H over 10 Fire hydrant 10 yards from sign and in line with same.

SV over 10 mains water stop valve same distance.

Colin

Brilliant !

• 1 month later...

Can I say my family owned the big farm house on elm avenue in Carlton they were the orridges and eyers and thank you to whoever put the pic up of the corner of elm avenue as the lady stood at the back on the right under the flag was my late grandmother beryl eyer then went onto marry a Tivey

• Upvote 1

Can I say my family owned the big farm house on elm avenue in Carlton they were the orridges and eyers and thank you to whoever put the pic up of the corner of elm avenue as the lady stood at the back on the right under the flag was my late grandmother beryl eyer then went onto marry a Tivey

Brilliant Vickey ! That was the reason for me starting this thread and posting those pictures .I thought if just one person finds an old relative on a picture, thats been lying around for donkeys years , then its worth it . Looks like you are that one person !

Can you give any other names not already mentioned ? My connection is with Park Road and the Harts who lived at No 6 for about 50 years next door to the Haslems . My brother and sister are on the front row of the image, dressed as a vicar and bridesmaid .

P.S. Looks like your gran is also on the first picture , standing top left towards the back , you can make out the same hat .

• Upvote 1

hi mick, im the the sister to vickytivey, the old farm house is a 3 storey house, it never had a extention,this was owned by my great grandparents.im older than my sister, so she doesnt remember as much as me.plus i now live on park road for the past 15 yrs, and my garden backs on to the massive garden.The old amublance station is still there. if there is anything i can help you with??/ thanks jo.x

Hi jotivey,I just wandered if you were any relation to the people who ran the bakery on the corner of Redland Grove and main road Gedling,my dad would only ever buy his bread from this shop and he would call it Tivies,if you are would you know how far back they ran the shop from and i dont think its still there but not sure,perhaps you would know,

quite a few tivies whent to carlton girls school if you were one of them there is a thread about this school on her i think in the arnold carlton threads please add your memories of your time there be nice to hear other peoples memoriesof the school i was there from 1962 to 1966 i also remember tivies bakery shop too carnie but not one we used regularly..

welcome to the forum vickie and jo

I knew a Beryl Tivey, wife of the late Jack, mother of my friend the late Jane Tivey. Any relation ?

• Upvote 1

Hi Vickytivey,I thought you must have a connection with the owners of the bakery shop when i saw your name,our family used the shop regularly and i wondered if you knew how long the business had been there,my dads family lived on Chatsworth Ave and that is where i was born and the shop was there as far back as i can remember.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, my name is Ian Tivey,on the picture is my mother Beryle Eyre, she lived at 17 Elm Avenue, the big farmhouse at the end of the row with the bay window,her brother was Ken and their mother and father was Frank and Florence. Next door was my aunt and uncle, florences brother and sister in law,charlie and hilda Orridge.

Hope this shines some light on who they where.

Regards

Ian

Spot on Ian as always.

How am I keeping? Well I am still alive, much to the disappointment of some. 67 now Ian and getting a bit creaky, still working with my son but more of a part time advisor now. He runs the show I just take a cut of the profits.

Still with Chris but she is now retired

Can't believe we clicked on your first post, that's some coincidence.

And how are you keeping yourself, still in touch with any of the old crowd?

Colin

Not quite so old as the previous but another street party . Queens Jubilee party from the first week in July 1977 .

We lived on Norman Road but the party was on Standhill Road. Thorneywood .

There was some sort of street party competition arranged by Radio Nottingham and Standhill Road got the top prize , (as far as I remember ).

Whatever the prize was , you can see Freddy Parrot-Face Davies presenting a cake and the radio presenter doing a live commentary . Somewhere I have a cassette of the radio broadcast at the time .

Apart from Parrot-face don't know any other names .

8891617901_83ba7acb96_b.jpg

8891617943_4163171b4b_b.jpg

My eldest getting a prize below for his fancy dress

8892236576_2ef7e1e1af_b.jpg

In the two photos where you can see the radio presenter, it looks very much like Dennis McCarthy who, at that time, was at the peak of his local radio superstardom.

Yes that name rings a bell .

Hi colin,i am still working, but not srangling spanners anymore. Ihave just turned 62 so still a spring chicken,eh.still keep in touch with brian handley and tony peters(hoare). just heard that keith nichols (nick-nick)the one who lost his leg, has died suddenly in bovingdon, bit of a shock. dont get up to the old comrades at drill hall as much as i would like to,it is held on a wed night in the o/rs club room now. no barman, grahan retired and left, so have to drink cans, not the same as a good pint of mansfield.

Hope you keep in touch on this means mate,glad you and chris are ok,my missus still keeps me on my toes,

T.T.F.N

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

These look like a formidable bunch of Carlton grannies out on a trip .

The only ones I can identify are Mary Ann Hart seated in the centre in the flowery dress and Ethel Wright (nee Hart) on the far left with flowery scarf and the lady next to her is Mrs Haslem .

Certainly a Park Road , Carlton connection and looks like early 1950s.

9017666279_78d9072270_b.jpg