Out of the shoebox photos .

A result !

After posting a link to the above "grannies" photo on a Notts family history board I was contacted by the Great Grand-daughter of one of the ladies above . This also dates the picture to 1949 or before .

"Lady sitting 3rd from left at the front, seated , with her handbag on her lap is Edith Daykin (nee Clarke) who died in 1949.

She lived at Kirks Buildings in Carlton .

Her friend Mrs Tinkler is next to her (2nd from left at front)."

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not all that old as I'm only a 'young un' but thought I'd contribute a little something! Me as a baby!

Hi mummysnuggles , welcome , there are just 2 more that I have of the Standhill Rd streetparty 1977 and that's it !

However, with a bit of help from Streetview I think I have solved it. The party is not on Park Road but on Elm Avenue which is just off Park Road. Try this for comparison The house at the end is

oh i wonder if kats grama could be on that too she lived kirks buildings thats were kat lived first couple of years of her life.

Keith nichols was my best mates brother we called him Bullfrog i had heard he had lost a leg Truck driving

He also had a sister called Betty

Lived in the army houses behind the TA on Wigman Rd dad was a Sargent

Mom would cook the best curry she was Persian

• 7 months later...

hello carlton lad was your brother rogera play worker in his later years of wprking family now in australia i worked with him for quite a while at broxtowe adventure playground knew your sister dianne from carlton girls school and tony whento school with my younger brother

i remember ian tivey toomy friend rosemary hhalam lived right at the endof conway cresent

• 2 months later...

A crowd of people at Land's End in 1950.

The Nottstalgia link is that they are all from Nottingham. It's an old family photo and includes my mother's parents (who lived at Grimston Road, Radford) and two aunts who lived at Garden Street, Radford. So it could be an organised trip from the Radford/Lenton area, or maybe it's just a Skills/Barton package holiday with people from all parts of Nottingham.

Out of 34 people, I only know 4 of them, so the others may be related to you. They are definitely all from Nottingham.

radf1-4.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

I knew Beryl Tivey, and I had the pleasure of working for Jack Tivey and what a great great chap he was. he sang in the carlton male voice choir.

hi davidw you are quite right it is Edith Daykin. wife to Harry. i knew them both. After I left colwick loco as a passed cleaner, I re-joined again as an oil and greaser and worked with Harry. hope this little bit of info helps.

Karlton, thats good, though as I said I didn't know the Daykins, they were identified by someone that emailed me .

See you worked at Colwick. Did you know any of the Harts that worked at Colwick or even my uncle Eric Wilson who I believe worked there , could have been a union man ?

I don't recall the name Hart. I believe the union man was a chap by the name of stan fl--------s, such a long time ago, I don't know wether i'm aloud to give out his name wthout permission. I do recall an Eric Wilson i don't know wether its the same one, could his wife be Ada? if not, sorry to dissapoint, davidw.

• 3 months later...

Hi mummysnuggles , welcome , there are just 2 more that I have of the Standhill Rd streetparty 1977 and that's it !

9103897014_ee4f129dc2_b.jpg

9101668081_720b5ea959_b.jpg

• Upvote 4

Here's one of mine 'out of the shoe box' all my own work, taken, developed & 40 pc's printed & sold @ 9 pence each when the trip returned to the "Navi" that evening. My father is kneeling 2nd.from the right with the Cumberpatch brothers 6-7th from the right standing.

img004_zpsce4d1b09.jpg

• Upvote 3

Sorry Michael, senior moment, Jack Cumberpatch's wife was named Nel. his brother I think George and you are right about John and the shop. I think the number of children was into double figures, all brought up in a '2 up, 2 down' house on Holme St.!

• Upvote 1

#74. Really Melissa! All those years you have been driving and only recently passed your test. Women drivers!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...