A new pub concept coming to Nottingham

Good Afternoon,

We are considering opening up a new pub in the city centre, it has all

the same features as a conventional pub, pub food, showing live sports,

live entertainment nights etc, but it will have a distinct difference.

We want to bring a concept to Nottingham whereby you have the beer taps

on your table allowing you the novelty of being able to pour your own

pint, this will help to reduce queue times when the pub is busy, you

have a tab card to keep a track of how much you have spent and drunk. On

each table there is an integrated iPad which allows you to buy spirits

and mixers which can be bought to your table, you have the option to

order food and even control the jukebox.

We have developed a survey which has a couple of 100 respondents so far but we would really

like the opinion of Nottingham Sports fans.

I would really appreciate it if you could fill it in, it honestly only takes 2 minutes,

or any feedback on this thread would be much appreciated.

https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_1B5iU6OGJUVYSlT

Kind Regards

theLandlord

Live sports on T.V. No thanks there are enough pubs doing this already.

Juke box = loud music No thanks ditto above.

Beer at tables = fizzy bland keg beer (if you can call it that) ditto above

How about a beer only pub where you can talk to friends without loud music, people talking(shouting) down mobile phones & decent home made food.

Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate that this isnt necessarily a concept suited to everyone.

Our idea is that by providing the novelty of self serve beer taps, it will bring a new concept to Nottingham, that should allow people to enjoy the friendly atmosphere of a pub without the pain of having to queue for long periods at the bar waiting to be seved.

Regards

TheLandlord

I remember this very subject being brought up in the Grosvenor some thirty years ago at the start of all this electrical self service twaddle (Petrol in those days) That I said one day they would do away with barmaids, and have beer served by machines...and if you were lucky a cardboard cut out of a blonde barmaid with big knockers in the background.

You know when all the jobs have been lost to these machines?...who is going to be left earning a living and able to actually put money in the damn things in the first place?

• Upvote 3

Filled in your survey.

I recognise the difference in traditional pubs and sports bars and in a sense would prefer them to stay distinctly different. Have used sports bars many time in North America and enjoyed them for watching sports. I think they have their place - especially if it stops 'real' pubs being spoiled with big screens etc. There's a place for both to serve different tastes and age groups.

The prospect of serving myself doesn't unduly bother me as the odd time I watch football or rugby in a sports bar in Nottingham I find it can be a pain to get served. I do agree with the issue regarding not employing bar staff though and would not frequent a bar that refused to offer the option of being served by real live people. For the same reason I never use a self-service checkout at the supermarket on principle.

I totally agree with Stu, particularly re' 'self service' checkouts, the usually 'wandering' assistant looks at you in shock if you say no thanks to these checkouts, as if you're 'frightened' of the technology!!

If you can serve yourself at the table,become intoxicated and obnoxious, will there be a human element to say,"sorry sir no more tonight,pay up and p--- off?.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to the landlord for considering our site to publish his new pub concept for comment.

I have also used sports bars in the USA.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, I would only comment after I had tried it.

Perhaps a meet up to try it out?

First concerns:

What is the beer?

Binge drinking 'kids'?

Q9 not working.

You would have to employ more staff to clear up the mess on the tables and floor after letting some people loose with a beer tap.

• 2 weeks later...

The Trip has a nice snug, round to the left of the bar.. its called the haunted snug :)

Its nice and quiet I've been told by a friend who goes there.

Also, who'd want to serve there own drinks? if I wanted to do that.. I go and work in a bar.. as thats what we pay them for, lol

to serve us, :)

Also, who'd want to serve there own drinks? if I wanted to do that.. I go and work in a bar.. as thats what we pay them for, lol

to serve us, :)

If I wanted to pour my own pint I would stay at home.

Pint in my local £2.70 - £3 60 a pint three bottles of much the same from Sainsbury's £5...............

I only go to the pub about once a fortnight & then only have two (maybe three) pints