Just been laying in the bath, reminicing about the past as you do, and I wondered if anyone can remember the good old fashoined food your ma would give you, for instance, tripe and onions (smashing), raw tripe with pepper and vinegar, pigs trotters, bubble and squeak (the left overs from Sunday dinner), and I think i remember you could even buy sheeps brains and have them fried! ugh! I also remember such delights of eating hot peas from the pea stall on the corner of the old central market, opposite the old Huntingdon St bus station, I think it was owned by the same family who have the pea stall in Vicky Market now. I also remember my dear old ma taking me to a cafe half way up Drury Hill on the right hand side, a smashing meal for about a bob! Any one else with thoughts of what we used to eat?

Mid-late 60's can you remember the 'Silver Knight Grill' on the right, top end of Maid Marion Way. Wooden hut style building as I remember.

Another place as a teenager was the coffee bar at the Albert Hall Institute,

across the island. We used to attend the Methodist youth club there.

The caretaker was a charachter, Ernie, he lived at Aspley, Anyone remember him?

..... I also remember such delights of eating hot peas from the pea stall on the corner of the old central market, opposite the old Huntingdon St bus station, I think it was owned by the same family who have the pea stall in Vicky Market now?.....

Correct....Eric Dickinson & Family.

They also did a roaring trade at Goose Fair, with their stall on the Noel Street side.

None of my occasional visits to the Vic Centre can begin until I've had a few dishes of their peas and, if I'm unusually flush, a couple of oysters too! hungry

Cheers

Robt P.

Mid-late 60's can you remember the 'Silver Knight Grill' on the right, top end of Maid Marion Way. Wooden hut style building as I remember.

Are you meaning the cafe that was at the Friar Lane/Maid Marian Way junction?

Cheers

Robt P.

Eric Dickinson still had a stall on Vic Market last time I was in there.

He was also one of the original Cockle men visiting the pubs in Nottingham City.

Are you meaning the cafe that was at the Friar Lane/Maid Marian Way junction?

Cheers

Robt P.

No further up on the right close to the Coop House island.

The one you were talking about was Called 'Maid Marion', I think?

B) It was only last week when i did myself tripe and onions but what i do is i put a couple of sausages in with the tripe and onion mix and cook the lot in milk yummmmmmmmmmmmmy.. B)

When did you last get your cholestorol checked BIP?? sounds revolting i'll just go & eat my belly pork ribs & not think about how bad they are for me

hungry

B) This is what i did for myself today... Two pieces of belly pork cut up into chunks with half a Spanish Onion cut likewise, put all into a well seasoned Wok fry with no oil for about eight minuted, half a pint of stock [ two oxo's in half a pint of warm water ] simmer for five mins thicken with corn starch..I had boilded potatoes with their skins left on with mine, Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy

Food of the gods you might say...This weather you need something warm inside you Caz ???? This foriegn foods ok but it don't line ya stomach more like removes it.

Tripe and Onions

600ml (1 pint) Milk

450g (1lb) Dressed Tripe, washed

25g (1oz) Butter

3 Medium Onions, sliced

3 tbsp Plain Flour

1 Bay Leaf

Pinch Grated Nutmeg

Fresh Parsley

Place the tripe in a saucepan and cover with cold water.

Bring to the boil.

Remove from the heat, drain.

Rinse under cold running water.

Cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) pieces.

Place the tripe, milk, onions, bay leaf and nutmeg into a saucepan.

Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 2 hours or until tender.

Remove from the heat, strain and reserve the liquid.

Keep the tripe and onions warm.

Melt the butter in the saucepan, stir in the flour and cook gently for 2 minute, stirring constantly.

Make the liquid up to 600ml (1 pint) with milk or cream, gradually add to the saucepan, stirring constantly.

Bring to the boil and simmer until the sauce thickens.

Garnish with parsley.

Serve with potatoes and seasonal vegetables.

I don't usually put a bay leaf and nutmeg in my tripe, but it sounds luvvly so I'll give that method a go. Anybody wanna comment on pigs trotters!?

It's not working for me Den, but if that's what it takes go for it!!

but........pigs trotters & pigs chitterlings now you are talking ,yummo. Dont get the chitterlings here but the trotters yes.

Any of you boys remember how we gals were scoffed at last year for posting recipes Ha Ha !! boot on the other foot now me ducks! must be because you are all SNAGS & have to contribute to the share of cooking hey? B)

• Like 1

;) Sorry Caz but i've got to ask this question when you say "we are all SNAGS are you referring to this below....if so i take exception to being called Dead Wood....I can asure YOU my wood isn't dead..... !rotfl!

A Snagging Issue

Tree snags - dead or downed trees in various states of decay - provide vital habitat for as many as 1200 species of wildlife nationwide. Despite the importance of snags to wildlife, many modern forestry practices encourage the removal of dead wood from the forest floor in an attempt to control pests and fungi, as well as for aesthetic reasons. You can create a refuge for hundreds of woodland creatures by keeping snags in your yard (or constructing artificial snags if no natural ones are present).

Good to hear you are doing ok Den.

Not familiar with those songs BIP.

I'm not sure what I would choose gives me something to think about though.

;)

• 10 years later...
  • 5 years later...