Rest in Peace, Alvin Lee

Sad, sad new that Alvin Lee of Ten Years After has passed away. Alvin was a solid gold bona fide rock star and one of Nottingham's own.

A true guitar immortal, his greatest moment 'I'm Going Home' at the legendary Woodstock Festival. Once seen, never forgotten.

Rest in Peace Alvin.

Woodstock: The Day Nottingham Rocked the World

AlvinLeeWithBigRed-1.jpg

The passing of a Nottingham legend, RIP Alvin. He'll always be remembered for that performance at Woodstock, I remember being blown away when I first saw it on the big screen.

Back in the 60's, after school, I used to go into the Kardomah on Market Street. We used to sit upstairs & chat and sometimes Alvin Lee would come in with his guitar & give us a few tunes or show us how to play something.

I remember seeing him play with the Jaybirds at the Elizabethan Rooms as support to Dave Berry & the Cruisers - I may have seen the Jaybirds more than once.

RIP Alvin Lee.

Did anyone hear him talking to John Holmes on BBC Radio Nottingham one Sunday morning a few months ago? It was so good to listen to him, I imagine the interview could be played back again now, as a tribute.

I'm sure I saw the Jaybirds a number of times at Arnold and Carlton College (Digby) in the early 60s at the Saturday night student dances .

I went to Digby College a few times and may have seen the Jaybirds - I did see the Mockingbirds (Graham Gouldman and Kevin Godley, later 10cc) and the Toggery Five. My band, Salty Dogs also played there.

I was at the Palais gig, it was packed but I was fortunate enough to have been near the front; it was a good one and was one of those shows you talked about for ages afterwards. It was pretty loud too, I remember having problems answering the phone at work on the following day.

I went to Digby College a few times and may have seen the Jaybirds - I did see the Mockingbirds (Graham Gouldman and Kevin Godley, later 10cc) and the Toggery Five. My band, Salty Dogs also played there.

Just looked in my diaries for 1963 / 64 and these are some of the groups that I saw at Digby :

The Sabres

Tony and the Varitones

The Wanderers

Rockin Henri and (looks like) Hayseeds ?

The Jaybirds appeared at Digby on the 18th April 1964 and my only comment was "great" !

• Upvote 1

Can't correct you Bubblewrap because I didn't write down the names of the groups at Gedling School dances . There was a dance on 20th March 1964 and then another on the 17th July 1964 . Presumably end of term do's

Hopefully the latter wasn't The Jaybirds , as though I didn't name the band I wrote :

" about the worst group I have ever heard" !

As the Jaybirds became TYA with a change of drummer Ric Lee(no relation) I think it must have been some other group that was your worst?

The Jaybirds used to practice(sometimes) in a house on Rufford Avenue which ran off the top of Welbeck Avenue.