Researching 'Cooper' family circa 1795 - 1853

I am a 'Cooper' residing 'down-under' in Australia. I am searching for
information re my Great/Great/Grandfather James COOPER B 1795, my Great
Grandfather James Cooper who married Eliza Burrows on 14/7/1850 in
Nottingham and who migrated to Tasmania Australia in 1853.

Any/all assistance/comments/offers will be appreciated.

ALSO PEOPLE ON HERE INTERESTED IN GENEOLIGY WHO CAN SOMETIMES BE OF HELP I KNOW THAY ARE TO ME WHEN I MEET DEAD ENDS

I can see the marriage on Freebmd. Have you sent for the marriage cert , this may confirm his father ?

Marriages Sep 1850 (>99%)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Burrows
Eliza
Nottingham

Cooper
James
Nottingham

I am running out of my free credits on Find My Past now but on the 1841 Census did spot a James Cooper aged 12, living with parents but a Joseph Cooper father not James . Living St.Marys parish

Joseph age 45 a Framework Knitter (on the 1841 these ages are rounded to nearest 5 years) born Notts

Ann age 45 employed in warehouse born Notts

? male age 20

John age 15

James age 12

Ann age 9

Jane age 5

(All born Notts)

Unfortunately can't seem to see the family (apart from the married James and wife Eliza) on the 1851 Census , that may have given more info .

Having done a search I think you have already posted a query on the Nottsgen message board , many years ago but may be worth trying again on there saying that this is your "brickwall"

http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/intl/ENG/NOTTSGEN.html

If James was transported to Tasmania because of a misdemeanor there is a lady on that board that is transcribing the records and they give some excellent details .

• 5 months later...

I am a 'Cooper' residing 'down-under' in Australia. I am searching for

information re my Great/Great/Grandfather James COOPER B 1795, my Great

Grandfather James Cooper who married Eliza Burrows on 14/7/1850 in

Nottingham and who migrated to Tasmania Australia in 1853.

Any/all assistance/comments/offers will be appreciated.

Only just joined this forum today so bear with me a bit.

My fathers mothers maiden name was Cooper but I haven't gone far enough back yet to help you but I shall keep you posted. I have gone back to 1855 and hit a brick wall. Also no trace of them on the 1901 census. Their addresses were 14 Derwent Street, Meadows, before that somewhere? Burton Joyce and before that at Gunthorpe. Do you think that might be any use?

I've not noticed this thread before, but if the OP goes by the name of Les, and used to be a policeman in Victoria, we met some years ago when he and his wife came to Nottingham but lost touch.

At the time, I'd just started out with doing genealogy so was of limited help. A good few years later, and as my family tree has grown to over 4500 people, experience and access to sources has increased dramatically so if help is still needed, and if the OP is still reading these pages, a Private Message may be in order?