Anyone have memories of treats?

Sunday was our treat day in the 1950s and 60s. It usually consisted of a small ice cream each and a single Mars bar. The Mars bar would be cut into small pieces and then shared around between us.

Every now and then my dad would take us in the works van to Stapleford, where there was a chip shop that cooked in beef dripping. As a Yorkshire lad he was brought up on dripping-cooked chips at his aunt's chippy in Sheffield, so this was his treat as much as ours.

In those days the ice cream van looked like this:

600x401xice-cream-van.jpg.pagespeed.ic.u

For a young kid the best thing in life was living near a sweet shop. I lived opposite Mrs Wrights sweet shop/grocers on Grainger Street, off Meadow Lane, and on Saturday mornings I'd get my spending money. I'd get the Ration Book and my spending money and blow the lot on my favourite sweets.

yes mick you can our icecream man sells them ,

our treats from dad on a sunday too once rationing was finished he would take us to spooners sweet and tobaconist shop sunday afternoon when he whent to pick up his fags mintoes and imperial mints for the week 400 fags we could pick 5 shillings worth of sweets for the week and half pound of black magic chocolates for mum. then when ice cream van came round he would take a big bowl for us to be filled and a packet of wafers we had it with fruit for tea. mums weekly treat was a shilling each for me and my younger brother on a tuesday child benifit day we used to go to lindas baby land and buy a small toy i usualy brought ladybird books my brother a matchbox car.

Back in the 50's treats were rare, there was still sweet rationing when I was little but every Thursday, Dad's pay-day, he brought home a Mars bar each for my brother and me (and like Compo's they were cut into slices to make them last longer) and a Cadburys Dairy Milk for Mum. Only had fizzy drinks if we sat in a pub garden in the summer, always got a packet of Smiths crisps with the blue twist of salt too. We'd occasionally get an ice-cream if Mr Whippy came round, but the seaside was the place for ice-cream, summers were always hot then .........weren't they??

My gran lived with us in the 50s (well, actually we lived with her - she was the tenant of the prefab until we moved to Long Eaton in 1954). I always got a 6d bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk on Tuesdays when she collected her pension.

Mars bar each for my brother and I, when my great aunt visited on Wednesday afternoons.

Wednesday in our house was always "Auntie Emilies Day" and we couldn't get home from school quick enough. Some times for a real treat we got a sixpence too !

Saturday morning was Gramma's day, comics, malteasers, pork dripping and crusty bread, sometimes home made "Brawn" Not in that order though :-))

Bottle of pop and bag of crisps (with the little bag of salt) sat in the car with my brothers, while mum and dad went for a drink in the pub, on holiday.........

My grandma used to visit us every Saturday afternoon, and stay for tea. When she left she would always give my sister and myself 6d each. That was a lot of money back then. We'd save those sixpences and that was the spending money we'd take on holiday with us in the summer.

LizzieM (#6), I think you are correct when you say that the summers were always hot. We had six weeks summer holiday when I was a kid and I spent all day, every day, playing out in the sunshine with my friends. We'd get dirty, we'd pick a dropped sandwich off the the floor and eat it with dirty hands. If we cut ourselves while playing we'd wipe the blood off with anything that was lying around and get on with it. The kids weren't sanitized in those days like they are today. Also, PC was non-existant in those days. Getting back to the point of the thread, one of the treats in the summer was going to a house in Colwick. My friends and I would go to this house that had a really big garden. In the garden there were apple and pear trees and it was the best scrumping place we'd found. The fruit always seemed to taste better from there. I'm sat here thinking, the next time I'm around that area I'll try to find the house. I'll climb over into the garden and try my luck....lol

• Upvote 1

:biggrin: Treat Days for me began Friday nights and continued over the weekend:

Friday nights: I'd be awarded a huge half a crown spending money from my dad - for going errands.

Saturday mornings: I'd be awarded sixpence from my mum - for going errands.

Saturday mornings: I'd be awarded three shillings from Mrs Woolley, a neighbour - for going errands (the huge amount of money given was worth it, as it was real difficult for me as a kid to work out what Mrs Woolley was saying as she had a short tongue!)

Sunday mornings: I'd be awarded two shillings from my grandma and that was just for being her grand-daughter (got off lightly here!).

A Grand Total of: Eight Shillings a week pocket money. I began early the policy of spend some, save some - still with me today. :biggrin:

Lucky you Jackson, I worked all day on a Saturday in a hardware shop, selling paint, paraffin and bundles of firewood, amongst other stuff, and got a £1 for my efforts. 10 bob of that went on paying for my full length leather coat on the knock!

For me it was a Portella (spelling)

Was that a red coloured drink Colin?

Maybe spelled Portello? anyone remember the drink?

There were also Jubblys, and a similar red Jubbly called Jungle Juice?

fd_jubblyoj.gif

And here's a nice site

Faded DELIGHTS
  • Upvote 1

portelo was my favorite drink as a child i have never been one for fizzy pop i remember when it first came out home brewery whent to certain pubs and clubs and did a family fun night netherfield club was one of them. on the night there was all kinds if games and a tombola this was perhaps the first time i had seen a tombola you could we prizes but also tickets for bottles of portello there were also people giving out the tickets to both children and adults by the ennd of the night i had loads of free bottle tokens kept me in pop for months, some givem to me by brewery reps but also the other adults who did not have children of ther own. so for months after dad did not have to buy me pop .if we were in the big room at week ends i would just take a ticket up to the bar and get my bottle of portello , other nights i would go up to the club take a ticket to the outside of the mens only bar wait outside till one of the men i knew came out or went in and give them a ticket and ask if they would get me a bottle of portello often i would be brought a packet of crisps too. when i took my bottle home i used to put it into a small class and pretend i as drinking port and lemon like my mum did when she went out or at home at christmas new year the only time she drank in the house.like her i only ever have adrink at home on christmas day but i do sometimes enjoy a class of port and lemon.

Gran used to come and stay with us for the weekend when we moved out to Ruddington. Mum worked on Saturday and in the afernoon Gran would give me 1/6d and I would go to the sweet shop next to The Three Crowns on Easthorpe St and buy a block of Walls Neopolitan ice-cream which we would then divide between my brother, her and myself. Dad was usually down at the garage patching up the family transport with Davids Isopon and rarely took part in the treat as otherwise the fibreglass mix would have gone off!

Frozen 'JUBBLY ORANGE DRINK' (#15) was one of the best things ever. During the hot summers I'd cut one of the corners and suck out the juice. If it wasn't melting fast enough I'd make the hole a little bigger and chew the ice. Absolutely scrumptious.

• Upvote 1

When I was a lad the Ice cream man sold fags dad would send me for a pack of ten & I got a sucker.

Ten Park Drive were 1/8d hapenny

I think the "sucker" was 3d so dad got a halfpenny change out of two bob.

But his 'suckers' were only 2d each compared to your extravagance of 3d for a piece of ice that would only last for a couple of minutes! slywink

:biggrin: Super Memories of the penny Jubbly when I was a school girl: Summertime, I used to walk to school and back - which was a fair distance - so that I could pocket my bus fare and buy a frozen Jubbly. Loved sucking its orangeiness, wasn't so good when all of this had been tasted but when the weather was hot and sultry who cared if you were sucking leftover ice! :biggrin:

PS: It was a real torment if you called in at a sweet shop for a Jubbly and were told by the shop keeper that they weren't ready, not frozen enough yet! Could anything as bad have happened to a school girl's dream?

Sometimes Jubblies were solid ice and other times they were sort of flaky ice. I used to like them when they were flaky and nice to crunch. I suppose the flaky ones were not quite frozen properly.

I used to love those Jubblys too . Makes you wonder what sucking all that sweet acidy orange liquid did to our teeth .

I also wonder what damage chewing on Liquorice sticks did ? Or were they called Liquorice roots ? You used to chew and chew on the stick until it resembled a piece of frayed rope ! They were a craze for a long time .