My treat was a Frys Five Boys Chocolate bar and a tin of Carnation Milk !!

My cousin was always allowed to have just the Carnation Milk without tinned fruit and bread and butter at Sunday teatime but my mother would never let me have this so when I did my grandmothers Co-op shop she used to put a tin of Carnation on the order and give it to me to have at her house.

Why did we always have to have bread and butter with fruit and Carnation - worse than pobs.

jackson - you used to get more pocket money than my Dad :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Systema, it took me years to wean my Dad off bread and butter with fish n chips. Think it was all to do with the war years and shortage of food ....... They needed to fill up on bread, must have been really hard and I'm so glad I was born after the war, although I'd be happy living on sandwiches!

Still available, and it looks like a very useful herbal cure all.

Licorice Root

That looks more like the posh version . I was meaning these bad boys

http://www.sweetandnostalgic.co.uk/p/1018617/liquorice-root.html

Still available, and it looks like a very useful herbal cure all.

Licorice Root

That looks more like the posh version . I was meaning these bad boys :-)

http://www.sweetandnostalgic.co.uk/p/1018617/liquorice-root.html

Friday nights were a treat for me, up to the Windsor Castle at the bottom of Carlton Hill with my dad checking in his pigeons for the next days race. Saturday night at the BRSA in Netherfield, crisps, lemonade and perhaps something from the Kershaw basket. Sunday, dad on his way home from sugar beet brought in mars bars, caramac, an ice cream block and a bottle of Tizer to mix with said ice cream. yum yum

mick i just made my bread and butter pudding was going to make it last week and when i went to the cuboard no dried fruit then forgot to get some when i went shopping so had to wait till yesterday when i went shopping again.

as for licorice root used to love it but has anybody tried the new modern ones piggy brought some a couple of years ago , it was horible reminded me of dog chews in looks feeland texture broke like a dog chew to but licorice flavour..hasten to add i have never eatena dog chew but sure it could not taste any worce than they did

• Upvote 1

My treat was a Frys Five Boys Chocolate bar and a tin of Carnation Milk !!

My cousin was always allowed to have just the Carnation Milk without tinned fruit and bread and butter at Sunday teatime but my mother would never let me have this so when I did my grandmothers Co-op shop she used to put a tin of Carnation on the order and give it to me to have at her house.

Why did we always have to have bread and butter with fruit and Carnation - worse than pobs.

jackson - you used to get more pocket money than my Dad :laugh:

the bread and butter was to fill you up so you wernt so hungry so quickly after hope fully you were in bed and asleep before you felt hungry

Without bread how are you going to eat all yer gravy?

Ok you can take the girl out of Arnold but you can't take Arnold out of the girl ...... I do have to have a slice of white bread and butter to soak up the minty gravy after a roast lamb dinner!

• Upvote 2

Thats the ticket LizzieM :)

Modern kids have never lived.

I think it does go back to the days when, food was scarce because we did not have the money.

I remember a bag of Hamburger flavoured crisps being a luxury. Hamburgers were out of the question.

when we lived in netherfield bamfords dairy shop nex to lindas babyland used to make there own penny suckers orange black curant ans strawberry flavours they also made there own ice cream always had loads of bits of ice in it but very creamy cones or in a waferoh i want one now.

Wharton's Dairy on High Street Arnold did lovely ice creams in the 1950s.

when we lived in netherfield bamfords dairy shop nex to lindas babyland used to make there own penny suckers orange black curant ans strawberry flavours they also made there own ice cream always had loads of bits of ice in it but very creamy cones or in a waferoh i want one now.

Ever been outside of Notts and asked for a "sucker" ? Happened to us in Cornwall and they didn't have a clue what it was . I now feel rather posh when I have to ask for an ice lolly .

On the other hand , when we opened our shop many years ago in Cornwall , selling mainly household goods , we were a bit dismayed when a customer said our dish-cloths "washed like rags" .

We said "oh dear we haven't had any other complaints" . The customer said "oh no, there's nothing wrong with them , it's a compliment , when you wash them they come out like new "