RIP Kenny Ball

:( So sorry to learn of this; such a pleasant leader of his band seemed Kenny.

Remember the time when Kenny and his no.1 hit: 'Midnight In Moscow' was constantly being played on the radio; I believe it was a no.1 hit for weeks and weeks. God Bless xx

:) Remembering the time of Kenny's huge hit: 'Midnight In Moscow' - 1961 - and how it was the time of the 'Cold War' between Russia and the West.

Kenny's hit added a bit of a Romantic feel to a vast, hidden Russia, whose appearance back then was witnessed by the West only on 'May Day' - May 1st - when their 'Weapons of Mass Destruction' - tanks, etc - were paraded in the huge square surrounding 'The Kremlin'.

Nikita Krushchev and his wife, wrapped in their huge furs and surrounded by the KGB (Russian Secret Police), presided over the event.

Frightening stuff I recall; the televising of the event could have been meant to put fear in the minds of we in the West - which it certainly did!

Ball, Barber and Bilk will never be performing again.A very sad loss. Kenny was a typical Essex guy with a great sense of fun. Just think of records such as " I wanna be like you uh uh " and all the monkeying around that went on. Great nights at the Slipper and the parties after. A visit to Nottingham by Ken and his band was always something to look forward to. Nice one Ken - keep blowing your horn up there.

:biggrin: Bendigo69: Excellent little write up on Kenny @ #7; You've managed to write about the Jazz Trumpeter just as I remember him - always seemed to be having fun as he was performing, especially on the 'Morecombe and Wise' shows. :biggrin:

PS: Welcome to 'Nottstalgia', I note that you're a habitant of Bulwell, which can't be bad; good place to shop, :biggrin: cheap and mainly cheerful!

Bendigo69

I was the DJ Mon Weds Fri at The Slipper 1970-71,

I remember Jazz night on Saturdays, only attended when Jake Thackery was on, but I do remember George Melley being there.

Many Classic Jazz bands at the Slipper, on par with London Venues.

I recall Kenny Ball appearing at the Sergeants Mess at RAF Swanton Morley, Norfolk, where I had the pleasure of requesting him to play, 'High Society'. We were sharing the gents urinal at the time. His was always an entertaining band and he'll be missed.