Prefabs, Wigman road Bilborough

I think Baxters was a butchers but I'm not sure.

Back in the 50s I remember a very nice bakers shop in that row. Not sure if it was Crowshaws or if I'm confusing it with the one that was on Friar Lane about the same time.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You come up with some brilliant pictures Cliff. I was born in 1950 and lived on Elstree Drive which comes off Hollington Rd just before the start of Wigman Rd. You can just see the start of it in the

I dislike those Beechdale shops. Way back in 1962 having just joined EMGAS I was working in the houses opposite when my fitter sent me to those shops to buy some sweets. Being completely GREEN I was d

This is the pre-fab area in the late 1940s when they were being built.  The red X is where the Beechdale pub is now located. Plungar Close is the semi-circle road above that X.

Yes Baxters were Butchers........forgot all about them........they had shops all over...............

edit.........bet cliff ton comes up with a photo...........

Good picture, Cliff.  Thanks.  I remember driving that road everyday when the EMEB moved their workshops to Bilborough.  Always went that way to hit the ring road and then pretty much anywhere in Nottingham.  The pub was there then (1960s) and it seemed as though the island might have been moved a bit more towards the centre of the intersection.  Otherwise not changed much.

Been meaning to ask you Loppy, in Your time at EMEB up WIgman rd, did you know David Jackson who worked i the offices there?

On Thursday, October 05, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Mess said:

Back in the 50s I remember a very nice bakers shop in that row. Not sure if it was Crowshaws or if I'm confusing it with the one that was on Friar Lane about the same time.

What was the now closed Coral bookmakers 

imageimage

• 2 years later...
On 10/5/2017 at 4:53 PM, Mess said:

Yes, baxters was the butchers.  Can anyone remember what the bookies used to be called - my dad spent a lot of time in there?