Meadows WashHouse

I can remember the old wash house too Mick, was'nt it tagged onto the end of Portland baths building? seem to remember all the women wore them long pinnies and turbans as you say, I also remember the smell of hot soapy water and it being a steamy atmosphere (not in that sense!!!)

the old washer women always seemed to have quite large chests as well and somehow rested their folded arms on them similar to the old gossip Les Dawson portrayed in some of his sketches, I lived on Bathley street, number 47 Bayford cottages

Rog

Thanks Kev

I was sure there were houses there.

Can you get any bigger view of the houses and yards across the road (Orange Street?) on Bunbury Street.

Number 9 Bunbury Street if thats possible?

I can't get an enlargement off that map, but I can get it from an earlier version. This is 1880s and shows what I think is the beginning of the numbering on Bunbury Street (opposite Berlin Terrace); before that Bunbury appears to be just terraces with no houses fronting onto the Street.

orange.jpg

It also included the Public baths (not the swimming type ) As our house on Grainger Street did not have a bath much use was made of them as by many others. I can't remember the price but it included a towel and a small bar of soap. When you had finished bathing the attendant used to clean the bath ready for the next user.

• 2 weeks later...

We spent hours playing in the wash house waiting room having pushed the clothes laden pram round for me mam. building stood on its own with baths and swimming pool entrance on ithink muskam st and wash house on bunbury st

• 7 months later...

We spent hours playing in the wash house waiting room having pushed the clothes laden pram round for me mam. building stood on its own with baths and swimming pool entrance on ithink muskam st and wash house on bunbury st

Spot on Sir!

I have similar memories.

One worth a mention, was when I fell asleep in the waiting area, and Mam went home without me,

When I woke up, I continued to wait for a few hours for her, getting a little confused, I bravely open the swing doors to have a look for her - my only view experienced of the great line of wash tubs, and gigantic airy poles used - before I was unceremoniously removed with a clip around the ear-hole for entering the ladies domain!

Do you remember the Plumtree Arms pub nearby?

Take care.

• Upvote 1

Was it actually attached to the bath or were there buildings in between?

I am sure the wash house was actually on bunbury street not far from orange street........ Had to spend many a day playing in the waiting room while my mum did the washing lol...... I am 55 now and I was 11 when we left the meadows but loved it and the people........ It may have been rough but wished I could go back to the old days in some ways x

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Dizzy-dee. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories. You state that you'd like to go back to the good old days (#13). Had you forgotten the freezing outside toilet and the tin bath.... :rolleyes:

I guess the outside loo was scary to me as a child but loved the tin bath in front of the fire on a sunday night in the middle room lol..... and every single week sing something simply plus few more songs was playing on the radio while we had a bath, then afterwards it was tea, family time and bed......... Monday morning in winter my mum used to put our underwear in the oven to warm them up for us..... Lets face it the cold outside didn't bother you as a kid and we never wanted to be in.... we used to put cups of orange outside on the bedroom window sill overnight without our mam knowing so we have frozen cups of orange in the morning lol... 50+ years and I am still in touch with a few friends from the meadows :)

• Upvote 1

Funny you should mention 'Sing Something Simple', I was just talking with my sister today, and we reminisced about that radio proggie, along with The Navy Lark, Round the Horn, Jimmy Clitheroe, Friday Night is Music Night, Hancocks Half Hour etc.

Most of these proggies are repeated on Radio4Extra on dab radio regulary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/categories

Cheers middears

• Upvote 1