'Lambley, Lowdham and Woodborough'

Anyone familiar with the story of Harold  Cottam?

A Notts man who took Titanic's distress call. He worked as a telegraphist on board the Carpathia vessel, he actually received the message " struck ice,taking on water". He got back to the Titanic asking was it serious? 

He reported his findings but the night crew on duty were doubtful,he ignored there response and woke the sleeping Captain...the rest is history...

His crucial role was shoved to the back of this now famous story-he sadly passed away in 1984 aged 93,

He did however report later to the BBC and family his full involvement.

Lowdham livers might know the site of the plaque that was erected in his memory?

^^^^^^^^^Where's that one Ian, I can only recall Bankhill Woodborough and I don't think there was a church there, could be wrong of course.

Yes know it well it was the reference to Bankhill that threw me, not vandal free though my mate had his new 4x4 nicked from the Bells car park a few years back. Dodgy time we had stayed for a lock in with Doris the landlady so could not phone the police till the morning and my mate claiming he had found it missing then.

I’ve always loved Woodborough, except when they get flooded.  A schoolfriend of mine grew up in the farmhouse at the bottom of Bank Hill and she moved back there many years ago when her parents had a bungalow built in the garden.  The garden of the property is beautiful but takes a tremendous lot of time and effort which is a credit to my friend. 

My parents used to go to the 4 Bells quite frequently, I remember back in the 60s and 70s they had an Easter Bonnet Parade.  In recent years it’s been a well-run pub and serves good food, the only drawback for us is the need to drive there.  If a suitable property had been available when we were moving back to Nottingham 14 years ago we would have seriously considered moving to the village.  Wouldn’t do it now though, we like having the convenience of public transport, hospitals a few minutes away plus all the amenities of town. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, very good food, but getting more family orientated. Last went last summer midweek at 7.30, and the noise and chatter was horrendous !

In which case, try the Nag's Head down the bottom end of the village.

Simple, straightforward, food at a price comparable to Wetherspoons without the downsides of those establishments.

There's a pub in Kimberley called The Three Ponds. My father in law, who was originally from Jacksdale,and I went there once and had some bitter, which was so bad he took it back to the bar and asked the barman, " Which bloody pond did this come from then?".

• Like 2