£1.1m Country Park at Gedling Colliery

Blimey who'd have thought :

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/pound-1-1m-country-park-Gedling-Colliery-set/story-18391191-detail/story.html#axzz2NK2yjD6j

Having said that £1 million won't buy you that much these days . Near us they are supposed to have spent £35 million on this , built on old tin-mining ground :

http://www.heartlandscornwall.com/

It's OK but not fantastic . The outdoor playground alone cost £750.000

IT WILL BE NICE TO SEE GEDLING TURNED INTO A NICE PARK ITS BEEN A LONG TOME COMEING HOPE IT GOES THROUGH PLANNING FINNALY WE AGREED A LONG TIME AGO THATIF IT DOSES WE WOULD LIKE TO BUY A MEMORIAL BENCH FOR DAD AS HE SPENT ALL HIS WORKING LIFE THERE IT WOULD BE A FITTING PLACE .

AND YES PLAYGROUND EQUIPMENT IS SO EXPENSIVE IT DOSE NOT SURPRIZE ME THAT IT WOULD COST 750 THOUSANDS FOR A PLAY GROUND.

Thats a nice idea Babs for the bench . Do the council allow that sort of thing ? Probably will fall foul of something like health and safety .

Its way over 30 years since I saw the colliery site but if its still covered by slag heaps , I would be amazed if they could do anything there for 1 million .

I don't know what chemicals remain in slag heaps but here in Cornwall they had to spend a huge amount cleansing the ground before they could start any development .

When I say cleansing , it meant stripping the top layer of soil , probably to land fill and then replacing it with fresh soil from elsewhere . A huge logistical nightmare .

Tin mining leaves behind traces of arsenic and other dangerous chemicals but no idea what coal mining leaves behind .

They did a similar thing with the spoil heaps at Bestwood Colliery Village. They're not developed as fully as the proposal at Gedling is outlined but thThey're perfectly pleasant to walk over. The coal doesn't seem very far under the surface though!