Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-12-1138003720.jpg

Posted on Jan 23 2006, 10:04 AM

The Coliseum in Rome?

Cheers

Robt P.

!rulez! Sorry got to be picky here-Circus or Hippodrome !rulez!

!tony! Looking at the pic below of the amusement centre surely from 30's to 60 it was J Lyons Corner House tea shop - I remeber so many cold nights standing outsude there waiting for my girlfriend (now wife) getting off the 57 bus from Redhill

:Friends:

I remember me mum taking me to Lyons on the square in the 50's.

Do I recall having to climb a flight of stairs inside?

When I returned to Nottingham in early 60's Lyons was not there?

I always wondered where it was.

We would go there after visiting The News Theatre (days before TV),

I think it was on Market Street? Anyone remember that?

We would go there after visiting The News Theatre (days before TV),

I think it was on Market Street? Anyone remember that?

Yes....went to the News Theatre on Market Street many times! - mainly Pathe newsreels, as I remember.......

Seem to think that it later became perhaps the first risque cinema in the City, with a Continental name - which eludes me. Showing 'daring' films made by such as Russ Meyer and his UK equivalent, Harrison Marks.

Cheers

Robt P.

The News House did have a new name (?) in the 50's but then became the Classic till it closed. The Classic was part of a nationwide chain showing 'X' rated sexual films and mainly frequented by male gay clientelle - believe that when they were all closed the Nottingham one became an entrance to a car park?

Many people used to arrange to meet up on Long Row outside the Joe Lyons Tea Rooms however these rendezvous' were often missed as the other party who had not fully understood would wait by the lions outside the Council House.

And yes I too recall Lyons having a set of steps half way up as the rear was on a higher level than the front.

Thanks Alan, Memories :rolleyes:

Now there was also a Music Hall on Somewhere at the back of the Bell Inn on the Square.

It was a pub in the 80's, Where was that?

!rulez! Before i go on i would like to make one or two things quit clear, i have and never have been that way inclined i my lean to one side while walking but that's not to say i dress that side OK! This cinema in question has been mentioned before in a earlier topic some months ago, i beleive the Scala was indeed it's name but i think it was renamed the News House later on and at the same time was refurbished with those seats that two people could share, wink wink if you know what i mean.The cinema on Milton st was called the Moulin rough of which i did visit but not because of the mucky french erotic films they showed only because at the time i was trying to improve my middle class french...Thank you BiP...............

:Friends: If you are referring to what i said Tuts the Scala was on Market st which i believe changed it's name to the News House never The Odean and The Moulin rough was on Milton st across the road from the Victoria centre monstrosty...............you know i pass by there where the Moulin rough was and for the life of me i cannot remember what it is now, one thing i do know is that the Halifax building society building has now been converted into a posh Cafe come Bar establishment..... :Friends:

The News House did have a new name (?) in the 50's but then became the Classic till it closed. The Classic was part of a nationwide chain showing 'X' rated sexual films and mainly frequented by male gay clientelle - believe that when they were all closed the Nottingham one became an entrance to a car park?

Many people used to arrange to meet up on Long Row outside the Joe Lyons Tea Rooms however these rendezvous' were often missed as the other party who had not fully understood would wait by the lions outside the Council House.

And yes I too recall Lyons having a set of steps half way up as the rear was on a higher level than the front.

And SFisher has kindly uploaded a picture here.

The Classic on Market street

I think the Scala was opposite the old Victoria Station wasn't it? It was the haunt for people of a less than savoury disposition, - the dirty mac brigade!

!rulez! Look pem mate, i've been through all this before, it's like water off a ducks back. Lets get one thing straight, the scala wasn't only for the dirty mac brigade, ok it was a bit seedy inside but i use to go their for the education, [french lessons] and met many nice people who like me was their only for the french language lessons..OK... :Friends:

• 11 months later...

I seem to remember it being called the Moulin Rouge and later the Scala, we always used to try and get a sneeky look through the door at some of the posters as we walked past, but never saw anything worth looking at.

I remember going to a cinema on Market St in the 60's and you came in upstairs. There was a half wall immediately infront of you on entering. The seats were off to the left. If you looked over the wall, you could see seats downstairs to the left, and the screen to your right. Is this the old News House?

Kath

• 1 month later...