The Picture House, Long Row?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the early 60's the Moulin Rouge used to show X rated Hammer Horror films in the afternoons and so called 'adult' movies in the evenings.

When we were about 14, you know, that age when you started to feel cool but weren't old enough to hang out in pubs, we'd go off to the YMCA to play snooker, which was free if you got a member to sign you in, then we'd go to the Moulin Rouge to laugh our way through a horror film. I don't recall that any of us looked anywhere near old enough to see an X film, but there was never a problem getting in, perhaps it would have been different if we'd tried to get in to see a 'mucky' film.

One day we got all cultural and went to see the original 1930's version of 'All Quiet on the Western Front', I remember it being the special hand tinted edition, but even so, it had an X certificate, I could never work that one out.

"One day we got all cultural and went to see the original 1930's version of 'All Quiet on the Western Front', I remember it being the special hand tinted edition, but even so, it had an X certificate, I could never work that one out. "

Perhaps because it was a "real" horror film?

As regards those sails, just shows how you (I) can get things wrong? I could have sworn there was a canopy (think Odeon had such?) outside with windmill on that but now I see that photo remember how it really was, can never remember the pub next door never mind the car sales! talking of which theres a "things we don't see any more" different shape and colored cars, instead of silver or black boxes, Maybe another rose coloured specs thing but certainly looks a better era from that pic?

I dont remember the shops at all.

Is that Pork Farms?

What is the shop on the corner under YMCA?

The Sony Shop is there now.

I seem to remember a large YMCA sign on that corner wall?

Thanks Red, I can now make out the Boots sign.

In 1963 when I first came to Nottingham, we had a school trip,

to just a bit further up mansfield road, next road on the left,

Modern Building, Some kind of international centre.

But not the international community centre in the old school type building.

There was a commonwealth exhibition (remember the commonwealth)

I remember African people in their gay national costumes.

Anyone remember what this place was?

Those were the days when all schoolboys could be gay, according to the books that I read anyway.

Jennings & Just William

jennings.jpg

• 3 months later...

I think there was one called the Moulin Rouge in Trinity square with a café next door with the same name. Again I believe that was for X rated films.

Opposite the entrance to Victoria Station/Hotel.

Not that I know it from personal experience

Somebody posted a picture or two on here of the Windmill , keep searching I'm sure you'll find it!!

Thanks Red, I can now make out the Boots sign.

In 1963 when I first came to Nottingham, we had a school trip,

to just a bit further up mansfield road, next road on the left,

Modern Building, Some kind of international centre.

But not the international community centre in the old school type building.

There was a commonwealth exhibition (remember the commonwealth)

I remember African people in their gay national costumes.

Anyone remember what this place was?

THINK THIS MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE BUILDING OPPOSIT THE HOUSE OF FRASER THEN INTERNATIONAL BUSSINESS CENTRE REMEMBER GOING ROUND THERE WITH CARLTON GIRLS SCOOL ABOUT THE SAME TIME IT WAS A VERY NEW BUILDING THEN.

Sandfield House was the Design Centre, a mumber of these centres were set up around Britain in the middle 1960s as part o0f the Labour Government's "white heat of technolgy" plans. The idea was to provide a showcase for the very latest in industrial and product design.

My mother was a regular visitor.

Been there years back ...full of weird shaped plastic furniture and crap you'd never let cross your doorway...Unless you were one of the Arty Farty Habitat types from London.

I bought my mum a thermometer from Habitat - in the Victoria Centre I believe! It was still in their house forty years later - and still working! I think my mum liked it 'cause it had big numbers!

Not wishing to be pedantic Eric , but it may have been purchased else where as the Viccy Centre didn't open till 1972 , mind you 38 years ain't bad going!!

O.K - so I rounded up! But it was definitely purchased at the Victoria Centre - actually, I don't remember there being a Habitat in Nottm prior to that one.