The Picture House, Long Row?

O.K - so I rounded up! But it was definitely purchased at the Victoria Centre - actually, I don't remember there being a Habitat in Nottm prior to that one.

i used to be that arty farty type that went to habitat in london before the one opened in viccie centre 1972...the stuff was amazing, chicken bricks,unusual furniture and affordable decor.....yes a forerunner to ikea but without the chav mentality
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't remember it being cheap either, unlike IKEA. However, I will say IKEA is good value, but I hate going. If the stores in the U.K. are like here - I always get lost in them, and they are always heaving with people just as lost as me! Good for bookshelves though!

The used to run a great T.V. commercial here that had the tagline "It's a big country, somebody has to furnish it!" That commercial didn't last long - I don't think Americans "get" irony!

Can't comment on Burbank Mick, but the ones in Detroit, Chicago, Virginia and Hamilton, Ontario that I have been to have all been immaculate. The "scruffiest" was probably Hamilton, but also probably the oldest!

I'm going to start a group on Facebook, "Never been to IKEA, and I don't care!!"

Honestly , I've never been!! Our nearest isn't that far either (15 miles) I may take that big step soon as I need some shelves and DVD storage for our lounge!!!

habitat shaped a generation of liberated people.....whats wrong with being arty and open minded ?

Because the stuff all these art college student types dream up is crap...always has been always will be,Subsidised by the rest of us so places like Tate modern can display semen stained sheets by Tracy Emin and the like and call it design and art.

I'm going to start a group on Facebook, "Never been to IKEA, and I don't care!!"

Honestly , I've never been!! Our nearest isn't that far either (15 miles) I may take that big step soon as I need some shelves and DVD storage for our lounge!!!

Hate to quote myself , but I finally took the plunge this afternoon and paid my first visit to IKEA.

I think I did brill as I came out having not spent a penny in 2 hours in there!!!! I did price up what we want for the Lounge/ Dining room though, and it comes out at around £750!!! That's before the new three piece suite / paint/ wallpaper /carpet etc!!

(There's a couple of banks around here where the security is pretty lapse, so if you see a wanted man on the telly who bares a little more than just a passing resemblance to yours truely...............................)

Because the stuff all these art college student types dream up is crap...always has been always will be,Subsidised by the rest of us so places like Tate modern can display semen stained sheets by Tracy Emin and the like and call it design and art.

have you ever been to the Tate Modern ? one of the best galleries around, well worth a visit, something for everyone

• 2 months later...

Yes....went to the News Theatre on Market Street many times! - mainly Pathe newsreels, as I remember.......

Seem to think that it later became perhaps the first risque cinema in the City, with a Continental name - which eludes me. Showing 'daring' films made by such as Russ Meyer and his UK equivalent, Harrison Marks.

Cheers

Robt P.

Wasn't the News Theatre on Parliament Street? In my day the Scala was on market street. Which I think was previously a zoo called the Hippodrome?

Wasn't the News Theatre on Parliament Street? In my day the Scala was on market street. Which I think was previously a zoo called the Hippodrome?

Is this the one you are thinking of on Parliament Street....cinema

According to Picture the Past "From 1914 to 1931 this building was the Parliament Street Picture House. In 1931 it was renamed the British Cinema until in 1933 it became the Regal Super Cinema. From 1935 to 1956 it was the News House and then from 1956 to 1957 it was the Odd Hour Cinema"

My memories of the Scala on Market Street started in the mid 1960s when it had turned into a place showing cartoons and kids films. Went there with my parents quite a few times, and I must've seen loads of Tom & Jerry, Donald Duck, Disney material. In its later years the Scala turned into the 'Classic" and specifically catered for the dirty mac brigade

• 2 weeks later...

The News Theatre was on Upper Parliament Street. It had a rear entrance on Wollaton. Street. I remember seeing the first film taken at the Belson Concentration Camp (by the Americans I think), as a boy of thirteen, I had nightmares for weeks after.

rob237

Sorry this is way off thread but I have just noticed an entry of yours way back in 2007 where you quote the start of the old school song - Una voce concinamus omnes Paviores. Any chance you have the rest of it? Would love to get hold of a copy for old times sake. I am no latin scholar so have no idea what the words mean, although I estimate I must have sung it some 2,000 times. I can hear the next line or so in my mind but there is no way i am going to make a d... fool of myself by trying to spell it out. Hope you can oblige. My years were 43 to 49.