I read today that Bingham has been selected as one of the top ten places to live in the Midlands by The Sunday Times:

Article

There appear to be a few discrepancies in the Nottingham Post article (surprise, surprise!). For instance it talks about a 'top ten' then goes on to name thirteen places. It also states the list was 'published on March 17' which unless we are talking about a previous year has not yet happened. Additionally, it cites Oxford as one of the most desirable places then goes on to ignore it in the list. Anyway, this is besides my point.

87365.jpg

Bingham for me represents a town I pass through on the way to the Vale of Belvoir. I've stopped off there the odd time and it seems a pleasant place with adequate amenities and good transport links. It has the beautiful vale on its doorstep too so I can see the appeal.

Why in the top ten though? It's being compared here with the likes of Oxford and Buxton which I can see have great appeal to many as evidenced by the many tourists that head for those destinations. It's all very subjective and who knows the criteria being used but wouldn't Southwell, amongst one of two other Nottinghamshire locations, for instance, have greater credentials?

I'd be genuinely interested in others' thoughts, particularly those who are more familiar with Bingham than myself.

From what I've seen and read on Nottstalgia I can't believe Bulwell didn't get a mention..... :laughing:

Or Broxter, warrabaht Broxter..........................???

Bingham, one of the top 10 places to live in, in the Midlands, where they get that from, I have no idea......

I know a few people who live in Bingham, and a few more who have moved away, and they all have said to me the same thing, about the town............. Since it has grown it is like living in a huge housing estate, since all the new houses have been built, and it is almost impossible to park in the town center, to do some shopping, and the town has almost no night life apart from the pubs................

Before the new houses were built the town was a REAL community, but now it is a shadow of it's old itself..............a quote from David Harper, a retired shop keeper in Bingham

We Have relatives that live in the Vale, we went over last week and called at Bingham on the way.

My comments were "Theres not much here is there?"

In the evening we went out for a meal at The Eden Bar in Grantham.

Well worth the drive, an excellent upmarket establishment with fantastic food and Service.

Grantham has been said to be the most boring town in England, but I was surprised whilst walking through

the diverse restaurants and takeaways, and small old style pubs.

• Upvote 1

Have they got a statue of her there, or perhaps not as it would soon get vandalised?

No Mick it would get nicked for scrap metal. ;)(her hand bag alone would be worth a fortune. :))

Never mind a statue, they could have had the Real Thing - provided they paid the shipping costs !

I would have gladly chipped in for the air fare as long as it was a one way ticket. :)

Went to Grantham a few times, principally at the end of walks and bike rides. One notable time I went with friends by train from Nottingham to Bottesford, alighted and walked along the Grantham Canal into Grantham. Caught the last train home to Nottingham that night after a pleasant evening in in the town.

Recorded the day here

Grantham Gingerly

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Bingham is truly a lovely place. But making lists like that lumps everyone as having the same thoughts, interests, personality and needs etc. Everyone has their own favourite place and hopefully they are quite diverse.

I think I must be biased in liking Bingham. It holds such lovely memories to me. My grandparents lived on Nottingham road & my Grandad would take me to his allotment to feed chickens & pigs as well as climbing trees. Another Aunt & family lived on Stanhope Way she used to give me bread & treacle.! On Long Acre East lived my aunt Eunice & uncle Vin, they were such lovely people always had time for me.I went to the little infant school & can recall there were 3 classrooms plus a burning type stove in the middle of the hall. Sadly my Grandma was knocked over & killed leaving the White Lion pub ( many years ago) My cousin Mary had won a competition in the daily sketch to wear Concepta Hewitts wedding dress ( takes you back) The early characters from Coronation Street attended- Bingham was very busy that day ! Mum dad & my brother would visit my relations every Saturday afternoon & then we would get caught in the 'forest traffic' coming home!

I was frightened of Dark Lane! Always went to the Meet on Boxing Day ----------

These are my sentiments alone- it will always be special to me

• Upvote 5
  • 1 month later...

I used to spend (or mispend) a lot of my youth in Bingham and would love to know if any of the characters I used to go round with are still there - one in particular name of Roy Marshall used to work in a mushroom farm..... He'd be about 60 now-dont suppose the name rings any bells with anyone does it?

We Have relatives that live in the Vale, we went over last week and called at Bingham on the way.

My comments were "Theres not much here is there?"

In the evening we went out for a meal at The Eden Bar in Grantham.

Well worth the drive, an excellent upmarket establishment with fantastic food and Service.

Grantham has been said to be the most boring town in England, but I was surprised whilst walking through

the diverse restaurants and takeaways, and small old style pubs.

Don't tell everyone it needs to be kept a secret for those in the know!!