thanks for the uploads im trying to find photos of a property that was situated off arnold road basford in between wallis street and wilton street it was called stoneycroft and our family lived in it years ago before it was demolished - its shown on your maps and it was set back from the road with a driveway leading up to the house

I have most of this area covered in large scale maps 50" to the mile dated 1950s

The maps are that good that all the points & signals of the railways are shown

I have even larger scale maps of some of the area before most of the railways(& roads were built.

thanks for the uploads im trying to find photos of a property that was situated off arnold road basford in between wallis street and wilton street it was called stoneycroft and our family lived in it years ago before it was demolished - its shown on your maps and it was set back from the road with a driveway leading up to the house

the boundary wall of that property still exists today, i don't know if you know but its now got a factory inside called spreckley which is a printing company. i drive by it on a regular basis and have always thought that the wall around the place originally enclosed a fairly well to do house, which your post alerted me to, and the map confirms!

and also, there's a stoneycroft road on an estate further up park lane, as far as i know this estate was built in the late 60's/early 70's (my mum and dad and me moved into another part of it roundabout 1970/71)

would this coincide with when stoneycroft house was demolished?

the boundary wall of that property still exists today, i don't know if you know but its now got a factory inside called spreckley which is a printing company. i drive by it on a regular basis and have always thought that the wall around the place originally enclosed a fairly well to do house, which your post alerted me to, and the map confirms!

Used to be called Spreckley & Evans I think.

Used to be called Spreckley & Evans I think.

it certainly did! you can still see where the old metal spreckley and evans signs have stained the brickwork.

in the early 70's i went to southwark school down the road, and at one time there was a rumour going around the school that spreckley and evans would give out work folding boxes, or something like that to anyone who knocked on the door and asked, cue me and a couple of mates nervously knocking on the door, asking for take home box work (all aged about 9 i should add!) and being politely told to come back in 7 years!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

NEW MAP - BASFORD

The Alan Godfrey 1915 OS reprint has just been released. It's packed with railways - the Midland from Basford Station to Highbury Vale; GC from Basford carriage sheds through all the complex junctions at Bagthorpe; GN Derbyshire extension aand Leen Valley line; both branches to Cinderhill Colliery; and even a bit of North's coal railway (and lots of other stuff).

This completes the area between 'Nottingham northwest' and 'Bulwell' (published earlier this year).

Details are on the Alan Godfrey website.

petergee (Wollaton)

i have a couple of the alan godfrey edition maps, and i can totally recommend them for anybody interested in the streets of nottingham in the past.

i used one to help me track down where i used to live in st anns, and also the house where i was born that was somewhere on cathcart street.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...