Remember this?

Nottingham653inNottm1970s_zpse9ccf9d3.jp

I'm quoting here largely from the book 'Nottingham City Transport' by F. P. Groves (published 1978): 'In 1972 the City Council adopted a new Transportation Policy...including the introduction of free central-area services.'

The central-area services, nos 77 & 88 were due to the establishment of the two shopping complexes at the Victoria and Broad Marsh Centres and the introduction in April 1973 of pedestrianisation of some of the central area streets.

'Once a suitable route had been agreed, the City Council decided to introduce an experimental free bus service on a north/south axis, serving the greater part of the shopping area, the bus stations, and the multi-story car parks, from 6th November 1972. Four Leyland Nationals were hired fromLondon Country Bus Services to operate the service (no. 88), which had a 5 minute frequency, and they were delivered new...with orange roofs to denote the service.

'Because of the success of the service the Transportation Committe agreed in January 1973...that it should continue beyond the experimental period...It was decided that a second service on an east/west axis should be introduced later in 1973 (no. 77)...A yellow colour code was adopted for the roofs...The service proved to be not as popular as the original one...The services continued during the remaining life of the former City Council, until 31st March 1974 and upon local government reorganisation Notts County Council took over responsibility...financial support was reduced at the end of July 1977, and a 2p flat fare was introduced.'

My photo was taken in the early days of the service and shows one of the London Country buses. Later on, NCT acquired some Leyland Nationals of their own, plus they had some AEC Swifts of their own, including some ex-West Bridgford ones, which also operated the services - although without the coloured roofs, if I remember correctly.

The 88 shown in the photo turned right along Parliament Street and then (I think) went along Maid Marian Way to reach the Broad Marsh Centre, but that's all I can remember of the route taken. I know the yellow-roofed 77s went via the General Hospital, but I can't remember anything else about that route - I may have travelled on it once for the ride, but there was never any need to go on it. In fact, once the novelty of having a free bus ride wore off I more or less stopped using the 88 as well and went back to walking everywhere. I'd certainly stopped using them by the time they started charging fares.

• Upvote 1

Kev - the above - a 'Pink Panther' was it?

Stu, it was called the lilac leopard !!!!! The first park and ride ?....think it was from highfields to town ?

Stu was close tho :)

I recall an incident with the free bus in the late 70's. Some friends of ours from Sheffield came down on the train for the day specifically to pick up a roll of coconut matting carpet from Habitat in the Vic Centre. When we went to pick it up, it was huge, like one of those circular straw bales, and we decided in our wisdom to take it to the left luggage office at Nottingham Midland via Broad Marsh and the Free Bus. It took 4 of us to struggle to the bus stop shown in the photo and try to get the thing onto the bus, the driver never batted an eyelid and let us get on with it, we managed to drag it down the centre aisle to the back seat. Trying to get the thing off at Broad Marsh and on to Midland Station was another feat of heroics, the poor bloke at Left Luggage was stunned and had to call for help ( these days you would be told to bogger off, elf and safety would not allow ).

When we went to reclaim it for the last train to Sheffield, after a few beers, a savage gale had broken out and things were crashing about all over the place at Midland. Eventually, it was dragged down to the guards van and the train set off, only to be stuck on the line near Chesterfield by a fallen tree until the early hours of the morning, when our mates managed to get the thing dragged into a capacious taxi and went home, how they got it into their house, I'll never know.

Looking at your last post Cliff Ton, it must have been New Year time 1976/77, I recall severe gales around the country as when we got home to Witham in Essex our roof had been badly damaged.

• Upvote 2

The 88 shown in the photo turned right along Parliament Street and then (I think) went along Maid Marian Way to reach the Broad Marsh Centre, but that's all I can remember of the route taken. I know the yellow-roofed 77s went via the General Hospital, but I can't remember anything else about that route.

88 Vic Centre forward Milton St, right onto Upper Parliament St. Left MMW island left onto Mount Street forward Angel Row to Beastmarket Hill. Right Friar Lane to MMW island . Left MMW to Colin St finish BMC. Then forward Colin St, left Fletcher Gate and forward to Victoria Street. Forward Victoria Street, South Parade and right Beastmarket Hill. Right Long Row East, left Queen St and forward South Sherwood St. Right Shakespeare and right Milton St to VC and finish.

77 Vic Centre forward Milton St, right onto Upper Parliament St, left Market Street. Left Long Row East to High St and left Victoria St. Forward Carlton St and Goose Gate. Left Cranbrook St, forward Parliament St, left George St. Right Victoria Street and left Bridlesmith Gate and St Peter's Gate. Right Wheeler Gate. Left Friar Lane. RTight MMW forward Park Row. Left Park Row, left Cumberland Place, left Mount St. Forward MMW right onto Upper Parliament St forward to Theatre Square and left South Sherwood St and so on to the VC.

From memory :jumping:

I wouldn't swear to it, but I seem to think both the 77 and 88 shared the bit down St Peters Gate and up Wheeler Gate. The stop on Wheeler Gate was one of the best used - there still being a lot of the old traditional shops there.

There is still a free bus service for the city centre, Centrelink, run by TrentBarton on behalf of Nottingham City Council.

https://www.trentbarton.co.uk/services/centrelink

http://nottinghamcity.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=6891

That's good - we might sample that next time we're in Nottingham (maybe next year), although my son likes having rides on the trams..

I wouldn't swear to it, but I seem to think both the 77 and 88 shared the bit down St Peters Gate and up Wheeler Gate. The stop on Wheeler Gate was one of the best used - there still being a lot of the old traditional shops there.

I'm pretty sure that by this time it was a left turn at the Friar Lane/Wheeler Gate traffic lights. But I could be wrong.

• 3 years later...

The Lilac Leopards were the park and ride service that was introduced along with the 'Zone and Collar' traffic lights that could slow down car traffic going into the city for 10 minutes during rush hour. Not surpringly it was none too popular and did not last long. The Evening Post interviewed an over optimistic City Transport employee who fel that the attractiveness and comfort of the Lilac Leopards would prise people out of their cars. It was probably decades ahead of its time. Modern technology like bus lane cameras and a £60 fine in the post do a similar job

The Central Area route was referred to by the drivers as "The Magic Roundabout" !

When NCT bought the lilac leopards they were also use for private hire. I only used one once for a funeral at Wilford Hill !