toffee apples in sneinton

can anyone remember the house on trent road that used to sell home made toffee apples,not the shiny red ones like today but brown sticky toffee that you would chew on for ages and then eating the apple after to clean your teeth,the stick was made from a bit of kindling,all the toffee apples were in the window on some cardboard,that had toffee drippings yummy, of the ladies front room,cannot remember the cost,but i used to see if my grandma wanted jobs doing so i could earn a penny,i also remember the herbalist that was also on trent road and i used to get (i think) hickery pickery pills for one of our neighbours,funny reading this forum does evoke so many memories

• Upvote 1

I remember the flat disc of toffee where the apple had stood and the toffee had gathered.

I would think the toffee is easy enough to make :)

i also remember the herbalist that was also on trent road and i used to get (i think) hickery pickery pills for one of our neighbours,funny reading this forum does evoke so many memories

Sorry - this is neither toffee apples nor Sneinton. Just picking up on the herbalist bit. Many of the old folk set great store by them. In the late 1960s when I was first a local preacher I used to go to the old Railway Mission on Traffic Street. They had an afternoon service, and an elderly lady - Miss Florrie Burton - used to invite me back for tea afterwards. She lived in a terraced house on the cul-de-sac end of Bathley Street. I remember one occasion having a bad cough and sore throat, and she said I needed a dose of "cough drops". These were not sweets, but came from a little bottle of liquid supplied by the herbalist. It was certainly peppermint-based, but well over 100 octane stuff! She poured about half a glass of pretty hot water, then added literally two drops of this stuff and instructed me to drink it. I can tell you it brought tears to my eyes, fire to my throat, a glow to my inside - and all sense of taste was suspended for the next two hours.

Mid 60s, Just at the end of Manvers Street opposite the bus garage was a small sweet shop (not the larger newspaper shop mentioned elsewhere here)

The used to sell a home brewed concoction a kind of herbal pop similar to ginger beer. I think it contained elderflowers possibly?

It cost a few pence for a small stone bottle sealed with a cork. Wish I knew what it was, it was delicious?

yes was going to mention that shop,we used to go there when we had been for a bath in the victoria public baths,lovely big baths with lots of boiling water and after the bath it was a special treat to have a drink one of those,yes it was classed as ginger bear,we loved it ,but had to hold your nose when hou had a drink as it taste nice,but smelled funny,all the funny bottles were all piled up on the shelves on the back wall,infact that shop was there for a very long time,we had a bath once a fortnight as we only had access to a tin bath when we were kids untill our parents were given a grant to install a bathroom in one of the bedrooms

• Upvote 2

Sneintogal

You have made my day by remembering that shop and even the home brew pop and bottles :)

I did not expect anyone to remember it.

i remember it very early sixties maybe even 1959,if you wanted a drink you had to drink it in the shop or just outside as they would not let you take the bottle away,the drink was always put in a glass from the bottle,must have been cheap,or there was no way we would have been able to buy one,also trickets on trent lane,always gaurantee a few pennies if you could find some old rags or maybe like us scout around on wasteland for some scrap metal,we could transport it there on our billy carts,infact we used to get the old pram wheels for the carts from trickets

think i have mentioned that shop somewere on here before when dad used to take us to snienton market he would always take us in there for some of that pop i hated it but he always brought it any way netherfield bus stop was just outside the shop he whould put us on the bus home and then go join his mates in prety windows pub while we took shopping home

can anyone remember the house on trent road that used to sell home made toffee apples,not the shiny red ones like today but brown sticky toffee that you would chew on for ages and then eating the apple after to clean your teeth,the stick was made from a bit of kindling,all the toffee apples were in the window on some cardboard,that had toffee drippings yummy, of the ladies front room,cannot remember the cost,but i used to see if my grandma wanted jobs doing so i could earn a penny,i also remember the herbalist that was also on trent road and i used to get (i think) hickery pickery pills for one of our neighbours,funny reading this forum does evoke so many memories

Is that (the herbalist) the place on the corner of Thurgaton Street? I seem to remember that the shop was a little time capsule and that the city council removed the fixtures, fittings and contents to Brewhouse Yard Museum back in the 1980s.