just remembered the blind lady that ran the sweet shop on sneinton boulevard opposite freastons buthchers shop she had no till,could get what you wanted from behind the counter and she just trusted you to give her the correct cash,and if you needed change to do likewise,never would have dreamt of cheating her,and never heard of anyone doing wrong my hpw things have changed,think must have been 1959 to 1963

• 3 months later...

I can't recall the blind lady, but I can remember Freaston's the Butchers. Also the haberdashers on the corner of Trent Lane and on the opposite corner, Halls the bakers. where our Grandma would get Swiss tarts for us when we were children -covered in icing with a cherry on the top. Family lived on the Boulevard betweem Halls and the Co-op from about 1912 until 1983.

Remember Grandma having chickens in a pen in the back yard - a leftover from the war days, I think - and every so often, my uncle would go out and kill one. Grandma used to tie its legs together then hang it over a hook on the back of the door, to pull its feathers out. There was a disgusting smell when she held the plucked chicken over a lit gas ring, to singe off the bits of feather she'd missed. But most of all, I remember how she would chop off the feet later and give one each to me and my sister to play with. If you pulled the tendons that were hanging out, it would make the toes open and close. Used to keep us good all day. Can't somehow imagine that today's kids would appreciate those kind of toys!

• Upvote 2

VWGolf

HIya, You brought back the memory to me Glad to hear we weren't the only ones who played the game with the chicken feet,I can remember pulling that tendon as if it was yesterday, :Shock: I can just imagine my granddaughters face if i showed her.It is one game i'm sure i wouldn't pass on.LOL

• 7 months later...

wilf and yvonne harrold ran a grocery store on the boulevard up till i think the early nineties,a really nice couple who worked their socks off to keep their prices competative for the locals,i was one of their suppliers.prior to that i worked at the store in the 60s when it was marsdens,i believe the old marsdens sign can still be seen high up the wall on the corner.

wilf and yvonne harrold ran a grocery store on the boulevard up till i think the early nineties,a really nice couple who worked their socks off to keep their prices competative for the locals,i was one of their suppliers.prior to that i worked at the store in the 60s when it was marsdens,i believe the old marsdens sign can still be seen high up the wall on the corner.

It was certainly still there a couple of years ago.

sneinton-2.jpg

• 7 years later...
On 2/13/2014 at 9:19 PM, Cliff Ton said:

It was certainly still there a couple of years ago.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae24/kc29_2010/sneinton-2.jpg

Think weve had one or two before Cliff Ton.......lol

• Like 1