wow been reading about peoples memories i to knew the old chap at the bottom of lees hill foot path that chopped up an bundled kindling,his name was aurther and you never saw him without a flat cap,well back in the early sixties,it was apparantley he had lots of children and was a true sneintonian,alot of large families about at that time the shaws,the stredders,the roses,the hallams,the woods,the denovellisis,the cumberpatches,the pickances i remember all of these families had proper matriarch mothers that ruled hes youths with a big belt,some turned out really well,other brothers went down the wrong path,where are they now i wonder

• Upvote 1

I think it was Sue Cumberpatch that was at Trent Bridge School at the same time as me 1963-68.

If I recall they had a shop on Meadow lane, a greengrocers possibly?

The Cumberpatche family seat was on Holme Street off Meadow Lane The Matriarch was Sylv she ruled wth a rod of iron (and the belt) There was

Ron

John The greengrocer on Meadow lane

George

Tony

Peter

Paul

The Girls were

Sylvia

Doreen

Pat

I also went to school( Greenwood )with Alan pickance who lived on Skipton circus or Ipswich Circus I think

Deeps are you sure there was not another girl?

I dont remember any of those name, I can see her face now but I thought it was Sue?

concerning aurther the firewood man at the bottom of lees hill footpath, i was talking to a relative about this today and he says aurther lived in the cave where he worked,had it all kitted out with cooking and sleeping facilities,i knew he had a big family but living in a cave no way

Sorry Deeps, mrs Cumberpatch was known as Nell, husband Jack, Sylvia was the second daughter married a John Boot, Doreen (the big girl!) tragically died in her late teens. John took on the greengrocers from Alan Frost who's Father Fred kept the grocer shop towards Meadow Grove & then at the corner of Grainger St. I have an article from the 'Bygones' page by one of the lads writing about going 'Ratting' in Bitto's! Just reading it brought the smell back!

Albert

My apologies Mrs Cumberpatch was Nell she used to work at Bitterlings (latterly FMC) with my mother The mention of the name brings back the smell.I wonder how we lived with it for all those years would people live with it in todays world of environmental health.

Back to the thread. I used to deliver newspapers from Bill Whites shop on the corner of Thorsby Avenue and Meadow lane. Lees Hill footway was on my round but I can't remember this gentleman perhaps he hadn't opened for business when I did the morning round or had closed when I did the evening round

• 3 months later...

Hello

I remember most of the families you mentioned,I would like to know how everyone got on in life,it was a great place to live and,amazing how many people you did know,nowadays you hardly know anyone on your own street,or only to say good morning,,it really was one big village.

I am the youngest Stredder,only two of us left out of nine in the family,love to hear from any of the old sneinton crowd,who are still around,great memories.

• 2 weeks later...

a friend of mine used to be married to one of the roses and i remember going back to their house on castle street when we had all been in the bendigo pub which was their local it was always party time in the roses house.the stredders lived on the same street if my memory serves me right.i spoke to her and told her only 2 of the stredder family alive.she used to see one of the brothers that lived in carlton and his wife had her own beauty buisness.well all the rose family apart from the dad(richard) are still alive even the mother she is now in her 90s and still going strong.there was 4 lads and 2 girls in the roses.but theirs was not a happy marriage.she says most of the roses are on second and even third marriages

Somehow, I managed to miss this thread. When I was living on Grainger Street I knew Mick Stredder and his brother Brian. They were mates of my brother, Arch. Johnny Jeffries was another one who lived up that end of Meadow Lane. My friends and I would see Johnny as he took his girlfriend home. They would always walk on the Railway & General side of Meadow Lane and I think this is because he didn't want his girlfriend anywhere near us. She was an attractive girl...lol.

• 4 months later...

Hello

I remember all of the families,I am the youngest of the stredders,only two of us left out of a family of nine,counting mam and dad,we was real tear always when we was young,but all turned out okay in the end.All the families you mentioned were nice people,yes some was villains but nice villains likable rogues ,as I remember being called.but they was good days even if we was poor.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

hello lupo sorry to hear only 2 left from the stredders,well apart from the dad dick all the roses are still alive,the mother rosie rose is 92 and still going strong,still dyes her hair jet black as she has always had it,when she was young,it was young dick that my friend was married to,she still keeps in contact,then it was carol,john,david mick and the youngest nita,rosie lives in a flat and looks after herself,as you say yourself i think there was a few scallys in the roses and stredders,but not really bad

• 2 weeks later...

hello lupo sorry to hear only 2 left from the stredders,well apart from the dad dick all the roses are still alive,the mother rosie rose is 92 and still going strong,still dyes her hair jet black as she has always had it,when she was young,it was young dick that my friend was married to,she still keeps in contact,then it was carol,john,david mick and the youngest nita,rosie lives in a flat and looks after herself,as you say yourself i think there was a few scallys in the roses and stredders,but not really bad

I've not lived in England for a few years,and only been back once in 14 years but it's still a great city,you only realize how good the u.k. Is,is when you have moved away,I know many people who live abroad,and deep in their hearts,they would all like to go home,but cannot because they have children and grandchildren.

Would love to have a chat with any of the roses,all real nice people they lived next door to us,it's great they are all still around,except Richard the dad.

• Upvote 1