'Computer Support' WARNING!

Father in Law got caught with these over 2 years ago. We still dont know how much money they got out of him.

Since then they ring several times a day every day.

You receive a call from an Indian call centre who say they are from Microsoft and that your computer is sending out viruses they direct you to scan your computer with their recommended software.

The find problems and direct you to a valid site to download 'Team Viewer' or 'AMMYY'

With this they can take control of your computer, and obtain any confidential information.

They may ask you for card details to pay for removal of 'viruses'

I had a call the other day, went something like this....."Hello, we detect you have a problem with your computer"

"Huh??? I don't have a computer" OP hung up.....LOL

Next time I'll play with them with something like this "Well I shouldn't, I'm a comuter technician" Or " Well I shouldn't have, I'm a computer software programmer" Or " I do? well that doesn't reflect on me too well, as I'm an IT, with 20 years plus of experience" Mind I could say I'm Bill Gates, that would throw them.....LOL

We had two calls from them I told them that I didn't have a computer as I was 105 years old what did I need a computer for. The second time my other half answered the phone and he ran rings around the chap who kept telling him that he had a bug in his windows my other half kept telling him that the windows had been cleaned to day and he could see for miles. In the end the chap put the phone down. Never trust any one you don't know.

• Upvote 2

I don't usually answer the phone due to my poor hearing, but as it was lunchtime, I thought it was my missus calling me to sort out some problems..

I'll remember the bugs in windows routine, I'm sure I could piss them off with that one, plus keep asking them to repeat what they said too....LOL

I once had a good one. Someone from the mystic east phoned to say I always paid my power bill on time so I was entitled to a device which, when plugged in, would save money on bills to a staggering degree. Being fascinated, I kept things going a bit and lots of things were said including the comment thatI sounded very young for my age ??? At the point where I was asked for card details, I closed the discussion. I can't wait for the next tale in this series.

We've had these such phone calls a few times and I don't give them time of day. When we were in Miami a few months ago we were getting calls almost every day. All the calls came from California. I led them on a bit and acted a bit dumb and naive, pretending I was doing everything they told me to do and then told them I didn't even have a computer, they ended the call immediately.

Another ploy, errm I'm new to computers can you guide me through the process, Mouse? where, I haven't got any mice in my house, act real thick... Monitor, whats a monitor, Oh OK, it has a black screen though, I tried typing something and nothing shows, OK, I'll check to see if it's plugged in, Oh, will it work without power??? As my powers been off for the last four hours.... Could go on for hours on that track...

I nearly got caught out as well like mick2me's father in law and I thought it was virgin media who was phoning me up which they do themselves sometimes. The scammers got into my laptop and tried sell me a virus protection for £30.00 which last for ten years but my alarm bells ran and I shut my laptop down and ended the call. I don't know why I did it I am normally on the ball with security.

I regularly used to get the 'problem with your computer' phone calls. After a while I answered them by saying "Just one moment please, you need to speak to my father" and leave them waiting while I carried on with what I was doing. I don't get the calls anymore.