I was chatting to someone recently [someone who shall remain nameless] & when asked where they were born they are too embarassed to say "The meadows" they tell a porky & say "Trent Bridge"!! I think it's very funny,I always tell people where i'm from if they ask,in fact over here it's a bit of a novelty if you tell the locals you were from a 2 up 2 down slum area!!!!

Any members too embaressed to say where they originate from??

!rotfl!

Well Caz, What I can say is at least the houses were built propper, even if they didn't have a bog.

In fact I lved in some worse houses than those in the meadows. In Birmingham I remember living in a block of buildings built in a square with a central yard where the tap was located in the middle, where you collected water for cooking and washing. I cant remember much about the buildings themselves except the cold.

I just remember living in a terraced house in Lincoln, that had Gas mantle lighting.

You had to be carefull you did not poke the mantle with the match, or it would break, and all you would get was a flame.

post-11-1138055650_thumb.jpg

Well Caz, What I can say is at least the houses were built propper, even if they didn't have a bog.

In fact I lved in some worse houses than those in the meadows. In Birmingham I remember living in a block of buildings built in a square with a central yard where the tap was located in the middle, where you collected water for cooking and washing. I cant remember much about the buildings themselves except the cold.

I just remember living in a terraced house in Lincoln, that had Gas mantle lighting.

You had to be carefull you did not poke the mantle with the match, or it would break, and all you would get was a flame.

There were many places in Nottingham built around a square Mick when my parents were growing up. Thank God they were long gone while I was growing up.

Somewhere I have a book about Nottm showing some of them places, most were out on Manvers Street area and Lower Marsh area. Because there was so much disease among those dwellers out there, those places went in the late 20s into the 30's.

I remember the streets in St Anns having gas lighting, even a couple of house's in the terrace I lived in off Turner Street having gas lights.

I would be interested in any images of those buildings.

Gas street lighting remained in The Park Estate untill recent years.

There might even be some left there now?

I would be interested in any images of those buildings.

Gas street lighting remained in The Park Estate untill recent years.

There might even be some left there now?

Your going to have to wait until I get the boxes out and sort my books out Mick.

Plenty of maps of the "enclosure" system and how it kept Nottm from expanding until Parliament repealed the enclosure act.

Thanks for that

The enclosure act, search results in farming?

I've never tried Mick, but essentially the enclosure act made land owners enclose their pasture with hedgegrows, thats why British countryside is like it is today. Large parts of what is now St Anns couldn't be subdivided due to the enclosure act. Nottm was surrounded by pasture and farmland and couldn't grow in the 1800's. The landowners being coal miners too, had nowhere to house their colliers and weren't allowed to build houses due to that act.

Sure try a search, might clarify further what I've posted.

On one of the old maps in that book about Nottm are superimposed the old bounderies, which were St Anns Well Road, Gordon Road, St Mathias Road and Carlton road, there are more, but my memories not that good and it's been a few years since I looked at the book Mick.

Ahh! Interesting stuff John.

I thought these blocks were built in that fashion to'Enclose' peasants such a myself.

Of course the history of Coal Mining in this country is an interesting topic in itself.

But what is interesting to me is the developement and decline in mining communities.

And no Caz, I aint ashamed of my background.

It makes one more appreciative of what one has today.

EG our young one stated she did not want to spend Christmas in Los Amgeles/Las Vegas, preferring to play with the kid next door. The kids today are spoiled and maybe a bit of what we had when we were younger, would make them appreciate todays lifestyle more. Another Subject?

Ahh! Interesting stuff John.

I thought these blocks were built in that fashion to'Enclose' peasants such a myself.

Of course the history of Coal Mining in this country is an interesting topic in itself.

But what is interesting to me is the developement and decline in mining communities.

And no Caz, I aint ashamed of my background.

It makes one more appreciative of what one has today.

EG our young one stated she did not want to spend Christmas in Los Amgeles/Las Vegas, preferring to play with the kid next door. The kids today are spoiled and maybe a bit of what we had when we were younger, would make them appreciate todays lifestyle more. Another Subject?

Just as a pointer for you Mick, although coal had been mined in Notts and Nottm area for many centuries, we never really had a coal industry as such until the early to mid 19th century! So we never had coal communities like Durham, the South Wales Valley's or Northumberland and Yorkshire.

The first "deep pit" in the Notts coalfield was probably Cinderhill/Babbington, then the Wollaton Collieries, ie Wollaton and Radford, then the Leen Valley pits around Eastwood and Hucknall.

So The Notts coalfield didn't have the community roots of the earlier deep mined coalfields of South Wales and such.

The houses around Hawthorne and Briar Streets in the old Meadows were built by the Clifton Colliery Company to house their employess BTW.

Try this site Mick for more info on Nottm and the enclosure act.

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/sitemap/c...and_education_2

Any members too embaressed to say where they originate from??

Never embarrassed by being a Nottinghamian.....

Often embarrassed by being English.

Cheers

Robt P.

;) I come from St Ann's, Simkim st hey lad meduk.. ;)

Don't recall that street Den, then it was a big area..

I went to Blue Bell Hill infants and junior schools then on to Huntingdon Sec school.

I was brought up in Kings Lynn Terrace off Turner Street, then when I was about 12, my Mum got the job as Manageress at the Lady Bay dry cleaners, which had just moved from the bottom of Blue Bell Hill, across the road to Alfred Street South, opposite Agars green grocer's shop.

Many years later I worked with old man Agar at Cotgrave Colliery!!

PS, I used to have a crush on Agar's daughter Jennifer ;)

I was brought up in Clifton, infact we were the 4th family to move there, 1954, my father still lives in the same house. When we moved there Clifton was a nice place to live, but I have to say that it has gone right down hill, a sign of the times I'm afraid, so yes, I am ashamed to say that I was brought up at Clifton. If you mention places like Clifton, Bilborough, St Annes etc there seems to be a bit of a stigma attached. I think that todays society just doesn't have the same values of those of the 50's and 60's.

• 1 month later...

My family moved to St Anns when I was a few months old and I lived there until I was 23. Yes some of the houses would have been considered "slums" but we had community back then and we kids could play on the streets anywhere from Blue Bell Hill to Hungerhill Road.

We were lucky in that we had a bathroom, indoor loo and a garage.

I recall seeing a documentary about the old St Anns school a few years ago and the teachers were talking about how the kids were underprivileged etc.

All they did was knock down the old houses and put modern slums in their place IMHO.

When I say I was bought up in St Anns I get some comments based upon its current "reputation" but I am proud to have lived there even if my old street now looks like Beirut with boarded up windows and burnt out cars.

My family moved to St Anns when I was a few months old and I lived there until I was 23. Yes some of the houses would have been considered "slums" but we had community back then and we kids could play on the streets anywhere from Blue Bell Hill to Hungerhill Road.

We were lucky in that we had a bathroom, indoor loo and a garage.

I recall seeing a documentary about the old St Anns school a few years ago and the teachers were talking about how the kids were underprivileged etc.

All they did was knock down the old houses and put modern slums in their place IMHO.

When I say I was bought up in St Anns I get some comments based upon its current "reputation" but I am proud to have lived there even if my old street now looks like Beirut with boarded up windows and burnt out cars.

At least we did get a good education and taught to respect each other, something thats sadly lacking today with youngsters.

I'd bet if you bought all those oldies back today who had critisism about our generation, they'd think we were angels at side of todays lot!

Maybe it was the lack of television, computers and video games that made us what we are?

BUT, computers should have made todays kids far more literate than us baby boomers. Sadly they are not.

My Son's in his early 30's, he has hardly read a book in his life, thats his admission, sooner play computer games all of his spare time!!!!

B) I too was born in St Anns, didn't live there long thou, my perents moved to Bilborough in the early fiftys. The house and street where i was born is no longer there, must have been demolished and replaced as you say with other slum houseing. The only Simkin avenue now in Nottingham is at Thorneywood NG4 post code which i believe is the Carlton area...............