Has the student accomodation bubble burst

According to todays Evening Post, the company that runs the student flats that were built on St peters st and Chettles yard have gone into administration. A lot of buildings in the city centre were converted into student flats, I know that there is a lot of students at both universities but surely there has to be some sort of limit.

The developers of the Odeon site are targeting rich overseas students, what if they dont want to pay the expensive rents, will we be left with another half finished building the same as the 1 on Canal street.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Company-running-Opal-student-accommodation/story-18471502-detail/story.html#axzz2O4NfMgzI

I reckon the overseas students will be increasingly targeted by the universities and therefore the developers that build these accommodations. They'll probably be the the majority group that is still able to afford Higher Education now that course fees have been hiked. A common scenario in some countries is that the family save up to send one member of the family to the UK for education.

A few years ago when I did my Masters Degree, a friend who was a foreign student paid the equivalent for her course of the maximum rates students are paying now - more than double what I paid. Foreign students are a gravy train - Higher Education is one of the few things that the UK can still 'export' to the world. It is still greatly valued i other parts of the world.

I hear varying stories about the availability of student accommodation in Nottingham. Often it's said that accommodation is under-subscribed but I know that Nottingham Trent University was in the position of having to direct some city centre campus students this past year to Clifton Campus in order to house them. As an aside, not something I'd be happy about if I was a city centre student as apart from the inconvenience and expense facilities are few at Clifton campus compared to the city.

• 4 weeks later...