colborn street, st ann's?

anyone have a street map of this part of st annes pre 1950s?

simple reason, i have been working at the top of colborn street in an obviously 1980's built house, next door is a house which looks to be from the middle of the 1800s, its set back from the rest of the houses and has a big wall across the front, i'm just curious to try to find out if if the two houses either side are built on what was originally land belonging to now numbered 57 colborn street.

thanks, phil.

I have a map dated April 1962 & the gardens of the houses on the north side of Colborn Street back on to an old quarry

Number 57 is set well back off the road and the house it's self backs on to the quarry

There are two empty plots going towards the Wells Road

Map ref SK 5841SE 1;1250 or 50.688 inches to 1 mile

Two attempts. First isn't brilliant quality because I've had to enlarge it quite a bit. This is 1950s, and I guess the house you are referring to is the one at the top on the north side.

colb50s.jpg

This is 1920s, and there seem to be more buildings back then.

colb2.jpg

This is a much later map though as there is a new street(Eccles Way) where the quarry was.

Although part of the quarry still appears "undeveloped"

Numbers 59 & 61 appear to be new builds.

thanks all! i can confirm that the house i'm talking about is the "L" shaped one, its interesting to see that in the twenties it had a boundary with whatever was on the plot at the very top of the street (allotment?) then in the fifties it seems to have expanded to include that plot, actually the reverse of what i imagined would have happened!

another interesting thing is that the chap i was working with remembered the mystery house from before st annes was demolished, due to his mate living on the opposite side of the street (which is how this whole thing started when i suggested that "L shaped house" might have owned the land on either side of it) he couldn't quite remember if it was so and i knew just where to ask.

he also remembered British road services having a depot in the quarry and across the road.

one last thing, is the the house on the 50's map that's next to British road services and almost above the "T" in the wells road was my uncle Brians house!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 1/12/2014 at 4:57 PM, Nick57 said:

I lived there for 20 years and when my parents bought the place in the 1960's there were an orchard on either side until my uncles built two houses either side of the old place.

I actually live at 57 now, My mum bought it in 2001. What we know about it is that it was built by a man called Thomas Lawrence who named it Lawrence villa back in 1869. He was the owner of the quarry pits behind the house. I've always wanted to know more about the place and see older photos but there's not that much out there. 

• Like 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to colborn street, st ann's?