Littlebro has it with the Camp Coffee slogan. The Gordon Highlander on the bottle label gives the clue to the meaning of 'aye' in the phrase which as well as meaning 'yes' in Scots dialect can also mean 'always'. Literally translated: 'Ready, always ready'.

It's a term used in Canada a bit too - I think from the Canadian Navy - probably also taken from Scots dialect no doubt.

camp_coffee.jpg

The changes from left to right speak for themselves - from obvious servant to attendant to equal.

Incidentally, I reckon Melton Stilton should also get a prize for his answer - he was correct!!

when i first met piggy he only ever drank camp coffee as a hot drink had to go out and buy him a bottlefor when he came to our house as all we all drank was tea.never had cofee in the house.when we got married i would sometimes have a coffee with him but was never very fond of camp so igot him drinking filter coffee because i liked that better. when i was pregnant with our eldest son i could not drink tea so begandrinking more and more coffee and i still dont like tea.

Trevor gives the full answer showing the three stages :)

I was aware of the Military connection but Coffee & Chicory was what I was getting at.

It would be interesting to know the dates of changes to the label?

• 5 weeks later...