I live 1/4 mile away from the old site. I used to take my kids on there but the train owners were very reluctant to give rides. They were not allowed to charge fares. There were two tracks, one at ground level and one on pillars about a foot off the ground. The concrete base of their shed is still there behind the flat roof building on Hucknall Road.

..........one at ground level and one on pillars about a foot off the ground

Which is why I know it wasn't next to the Five Ways...The corner of that park sheltered from the road by the road bridge was a favourite spot for exploring a certain female acquaintance...and I would have remembered if we both had to clamber over an elevated track to get to it. :blush:

i too used to take my kids to see the trains at the miniture railway it was indeed on hucknal rd/valley rd they used to have open days a couple of times a year and give the kids rides. the not charging was due to insurance reasons they would need public libility but they would have someone with a donation box on the gate as you went out.

• 2 months later...

I can confirm that the model engineer railway was on the Hucknall Road Roundabout, and opened in 1953. They moved because they wished to expand and needed a new entrance - the highways authority wouldn't let them expand the roundabout entrance and said they needed a exit on Valley Road, with associated slip road etc, at the societies cost which they couldn't afford.

The majority of members moved to the Nottingham Heritage Centre, as a continuation of the Nottingham Society of Model & Experimental Engineers.

A splinter group, know as the Valley Road Model Engineering Society set up home at the Floralands Garden Centre on Catfoot Lane, Lambley and gives rides to the public on alternate Sundays in Summer (it was open today) for 50p. The site is clearly visible on Google sateillite.

The information above is from my old man who is a member of both societies.

Mitch

Thanks for posting that robinwood....there's one slight problem in that you've got your Flickr account set to "Private" so that when anyone clicks on that link they just get a message telling them they can't see it :unsure:

I'm sure you can sort it.