Re the A10 photo, no not The White Post, it's The Ship at Skeggy, That was actually an A10 Road Rocket but fitted with an iron head off a flash fitted by "tin head" (so called as he swopped the heads) reason being it kept blowing head gaskets, still did it with iron head fitted which was a barsteward as lining up push rods a real pain, in finish I cut hole in rocker box and fitted a brass plate on such, dead easy then, should have sold idea to BSA! Even Tony Starkey who tuned and rebuilt his own Crescent 3cyl racing side car outfit couldn't cure the fault, about every 3 months a regular pop pop chuff chuff etc!

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was on Facebook.   What happens to old Mods.

I remember seeing Bolt at R.O.T in 1961, was it him or some other biker who had barbed wire wrapped around his jacket? His outfit was known as Bolt's Coffin. Another guy called Johnny Dench had a com

No,no,no,no,no, oh ok then. Many years ago on a Nottingham Forest trip to Lyon . Lots of beer, then lots of Cotes Du Rhone, then a "bumpy" taxi ride to the ground shook me up so I fell into the arms

Now you've kicked me grey cells into life Ashley, I take it you're talking about "Tut Tut Tony" who had a workshop near to Les Clarke's at the top of Alfreton road in the late 60s early 70s?

Rog

yes Tony on Raleigh Mews near to Bernard Banks (what did happen to his fingers?) he rebuilt bottom end of a triumph 650 for me, I said "do what it needs" stripped it and said this and that so I said go ahead, took him ages, kept going back to see if ready and finally he started throwing spanners around his workshop! when I did finally get it back and completed top end etc on starting up it spewed oil everywhere, stripped it myself and oil scavange pipe full of sh1t and springs in oil pump broken! in finish me and missus rebuilt it in the kitchen,(Crank in the freezer, cases in the oven!) SWScan00013.jpg

Ashley, the last time I heard of him he was being chased across Canada I think by some irate husband.

Remember Les Clarke had a semi kneeler outfit with a BSA 650 motor riden by Ray Waplington and passengered by Stan Goodman, won quite a few races at Darley Moore, I remember welding a kneeler outfit frame together for him out of 1" box steel and he fitted an Hillman imp engine when the first water cooled four cylinder jobs came into being, sprayed silver I think and it's first outing was Darley moor

Rog

When I did finally get it back and completed top end etc on starting up it spewed oil everywhere.

Reminds me of my Tiger 110. I wasn't mechanically minded so had no idea what things were.

Near the kick start was an alloy cap, about 3" in diameter. This dropped off at some point, & I got a load of oil all over my right boot, foot, leg & jeans etc. I bought three replacements,,,, but I couldn't get 'em to stay on.

I had one waterproof leg & one porous leg !

In desperation when it fell off yet again at Skeggy, I put a baked bean tin on. That never did fall off & I left it on there.

Speaking of Darley Moor - we would go up there often. This was taken by my mate up there one cold day - probably March or April 1969. We are all Long Eaton Grammar School pupils - and owned a variety of bikes - including a James! One of them is me - but which one?

darley_moor.jpg

Having met Eric 'Limey' recently I can catagorically state that ,I haven't got a clue,

Unless it's the one sat on the ground, leaning against the car.

Dont know whether you can see this pic but it is the best bike that we used to have. It was a Cafe Racer style 650 Dresda Triumph, wish we still had it now. We owned it in 1968 till the early 70s. Cant seem to get pic to upload. Will try again later.

MG, not disc brakes but lightweight front hub, I do like the Gold star swept back pipes and Dunstall maga's, nice looking bike, is that a Brealy Smith tank and bucket seat? thanks for posting

Rog

The 1970 Honda CB750 Four ( often mistakenly referred to as model KO) had a single front disc, at that time I was more interested in what made it go not stop! so don't remember many bikes brakes. do know the 1972 Suzuki GT750 (the kettle) still had twin 4 leading shoe drum front brakes , as mate bought one in 1973 new but reduced price as 73 model had front disc

The 1970 Honda CB750 Four ( often mistakenly referred to as model KO) had a single front disc, at that time I was more interested in what made it go not stop! so don't remember many bikes brakes. do know the 1972 Suzuki GT750 (the kettle) still had twin 4 leading shoe drum front brakes , as mate bought one in 1973 new but reduced price as 73 model had front disc

ever thought of starting a thread just on bikes, sure there,d be a lot of interest, not being a biker back then i dont even remember where you bought them from, i,d forgotten the road rocket till you mentioned it