• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was on Facebook.   What happens to old Mods.

I remember seeing Bolt at R.O.T in 1961, was it him or some other biker who had barbed wire wrapped around his jacket? His outfit was known as Bolt's Coffin. Another guy called Johnny Dench had a com

No,no,no,no,no, oh ok then. Many years ago on a Nottingham Forest trip to Lyon . Lots of beer, then lots of Cotes Du Rhone, then a "bumpy" taxi ride to the ground shook me up so I fell into the arms

Hi RGR,

the photo you posted 290, is that the 60's?, the reason I ask is there seem to be a lot of 'skid lids' in the pic', at first I thought it was after the helmet law was enforced.

Ayup Babs,

as far as I was concerned,my mod days finished in 1969.

In March of 70,I purchased the last model T120, 650 'Bonneville',In my humble opinion the best 'Bonnie' ever produced.

It held the the road like s---t on an army blanket, a far cry from the old 57 T-bird I rode.

Never was a closet anything ( thinking), no can't say I was.Sounds like you might have been a closeted mod gal, what with the 'Mojo, Dungeon,ay meduck.

Years ago I remember reading, ' four wheels carry the body,two wheels move the soul'. I know you will agree with that Babs. Give my regards to Dave.

Bryan

Zundap Bella is the scooter thingy that comes to my mind, Big boat with little wheels.

& a Triumph Tigeress that was a pretty quick scoot twin cyl if i remember correct, That was if you could keep it running long enough

Couldnt stand any scoots rather have a Honda 50

• Upvote 1

no brian always a true rocker at heart still am never liked scooters or the daft looking guys always liked real men but did like the music but we listened and danced to same kind of music down the heart couse that was the in music at the time brian .dave sez hi

I can confirm what Babs says about the music the Mods and Rockers listened to. Way back in the early 60's at the Toreador the rockers were listening to the likes of Sam Cooke, Ray Charles and Fats Domino, as well as the Beatles and the rest of the Mersey Sounds.

In 1964 when we moved to Beeston, there was plenty of Tamla Motown on the Juke Box at Jack's Cafe, and it was always being played.

When I was the Saturday night DJ at the White Hart in 75-76, I would play stuff like The Doors, Hendrix, Hawkwind, The Allmann Bros, Led Zep etc. The sort of discs you would expect at a Biker's disco, but among that lot I would also play what might be considered Mod sounds, The Who, The Troggs, (RIP Reg), The Kinks etc. I think the only reason we didn't play Northern Soul was because we had never heard any.

Many people like to imagine that there were fundamental differences between our musical tastes. That the Rockers liked only Rock and Roll for instance. Well personally speaking as a life-long Rocker, I think that Elvis Presley made 2 or 3 good records in the 50's, followed by a succession of appalling tracks in the 60's and ended up a bloated junkie working for the Mafia in the 70's. I would much rather listen to one of my favourite LP's Quadrophenia.

• Upvote 4

Yes you're right there Graham, most of the super bands started out as mod ones, even the quo! been down the hart tomight, i's getting depressing, more dead every week! no one "known" like izzey baz or malty but it's catching up with us all!

When I have visited the White Hart for recent meet ups and Bab's birthday, I really enjoyed it.

I was also impressed with the bikers bar there and all the photographs.

I though how lucky you all were that this venue was still going pretty much as it had in the 60s.

And that the group of friends were still together after all these years.

There are probably friends of mine from those days who are sadly no longer with us that

I have not found out about because there is no such place for me.

I stood with Denshaw on my first visit which was Bab's birthday and commented that if anyone

had told me in 1968 that I would be standing in a bar full of Rockers at the White Hart in the future,

I wouldn't of believed them!

We are sad to lose old friends, but are happy that we have met many new ones.

• Upvote 1

yes, ignore my moans and groans, got the winter blues, plus that nice chinese lady? (well the ebay "shop" is called zjslady shop) who is supplying parts for my bike sent the wrong ones yesterday which put me in bad mood for the day! lol

dont worry ash we all have our down days but we get over them

mick at maltys funeral last year the last song they played at his request was always look on the bright side of life every one singing and whistling as the lads took it inturn to fill in the grave a great send off and one i will never forget

rest in peace to all our bikere friends who no longer with us

sorry caut wrong button there

should read what ever i can and i am sure others will too to make sure it dose

• 2 weeks later...

Just to even up the posts a bit, a little bit of mod stuff then.

Shopping in Beeston a week or so back, I bumped into a guy that was one of the well know faces from the Dungeon, non other than "Little Eric" remember him.? Often suited and booted in a bottle green suit with the mandatory massive single 13" vent!

I mentioned the Macmillan Cancer Care Motown night at The Polish Club on March 16' and he said he's going to try and get there, it would be good if as many former Dungeon dwellers and original mods could get there, but despite there being a month till its on, tickets are usually sold out, however sometimes there are one or two spare when people that have bought them can't go after all.

I remember the name Little Eric but that's all. The Polish Club was where I first got drunk, on Barley Wine!! Dreadful stuff, and never touched it again! Would have probably gone to the Motown Night in March but will be in Florida and hopefully meeting up with Mudgie. I had the best times down the Dungeon in 65' 66 and 67 but doubt I would recognise anyone from those days now! Have a great night.

I knew Eric and his brother Steve pretty well.

The last time I saw 'Little Eric',he insisted I call him Mathew, as he was trying to put his old days and ways behind him.

He still had that devilish grin though.

• 2 months later...

I knew Little Eric and remember the green suit ............ there was a great tailor, one of the crowd at the Dungeon/Beachcomber/Boat Clubs called Mario , he would get rolls of mohair from Dave Mace's dad (one of the Bilborough lot) and make suits to measure.

Anyone remember Click, Radio and Ben? I used to go to the all-nighters with them and others from Nottingham, we frequented Leicester (Night Owl), Sheffield (Mojo) and Manchester (Twisted Wheel).

• 4 weeks later...