Don't knock the stomp. Used to get the glasses rattling big time, some nights.

Remember one night at the British Legion at ROT. They used to hold dance classes etc (FREE!) and on this particular night, they were teaching the new craze called "The Twist"

We went along to see what it was all about, listening and mimicking the old guy who was dressed in a dark suit and tie and who had been watching Chubby Checker too much.

Anyway, cut a long story short; one of our local celebrities was a lad called Bolt (his proper name) who rode a motor bike with a sidecar that was simply the bottom half of a long wooden crate. A true rocker in every sense and dress.

He watched and listened for a while and then started to stomp to the Twist, the rest of us joining in. The old Legion guy lost all control, no matter how loud he yelled or flapped his arms and we were p***ing ourselves with laughter.

............ until he came back in, told us the police were on the way and the Hall was closed.

Bolt and his bird took off in a cloud of dust and gravel and you could hear them halfway to Nottingham. We just disappeared down Wharf Lane to the Rec.

The Legion never held anymore dance lessons after that. Shame really.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was on Facebook.   What happens to old Mods.

I remember seeing Bolt at R.O.T in 1961, was it him or some other biker who had barbed wire wrapped around his jacket? His outfit was known as Bolt's Coffin. Another guy called Johnny Dench had a com

No,no,no,no,no, oh ok then. Many years ago on a Nottingham Forest trip to Lyon . Lots of beer, then lots of Cotes Du Rhone, then a "bumpy" taxi ride to the ground shook me up so I fell into the arms

I remember seeing Bolt at R.O.T in 1961, was it him or some other biker who had barbed wire wrapped around his jacket? His outfit was known as Bolt's Coffin.

Another guy called Johnny Dench had a complete coffin as a sidecar a few years later, he had built it himself, for that was his job, ie, a coffin maker.

One bank holiday, he rode it to Chip alley in Skeggy, after buying a couple of fish suppers he partially opened the coffin lid, an arm came out and took the chips. Johnny shut the lid, mounted the Triumph T110 and rode off. The effect on the many holiday makers and their kids was a sight to behold.

• Upvote 5

That was our Bolt....cannot remember the barbed wire though.

His sidecar was made up to look like an open coffin - no lid.

If you were game, Bolt would take you for a very quick ride providing you lay flat on your back in his sidecar. After the first couple of guinea pigs, locals kept away from his free ride offers - better ways to die than being scared to death or flying out of the box.

Wonder what happened to him??? He was never short of a bird on the back of his bike.

Johnny Dench rings no bells.

Pip Roe, Monkhouse and Knight, might be gents that you would have seen in ROT in 61.

For those who might be interested ( susyshoes, LizzieM and Hippo Girl ) ? There is a group called Mod Story who are on at the Lion in Basford on Saturday 21st June.

Reggae , ska, soul, and Britpop.

That's NiCE.......... Get it?

• Upvote 1

If she doesn't like insects, she might go to Anti Bees .

Keep off the Cotes Du Rhone, it's deadly. Still have nightmares of a trip to Lyon.

No,no,no,no,no, oh ok then.

Many years ago on a Nottingham Forest trip to Lyon . Lots of beer, then lots of Cotes Du Rhone, then a "bumpy" taxi ride to the ground shook me up so I fell into the arms of the gendarmerie . Off to HQ and missed match. Expensive taxi to airport and made last plane to East Mids with seconds to spare.

Outlay £400, missed match, row with ex on return. Disaster, but Reds drew 0 - 0 and went through.

• Upvote 4
  • 1 month later...

Susyshoes will give you the exact date in December Babs !!

6th December . I'm gutted. Really wanted to book them lol

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Was a rocker in the 60s, My first bike was a Royal Enfield Cruisder sports 250cc, Very good bike, I took H-bars off and put dropped clip ons on the bike was Brilliant. Also took the baffles out to make it sound more powerful. Quite a few of us Radford bikers used to pop into Slab Square to see if any Mods was there if was ther was some really good banter,Then i had my dream bike 650 boniville.wat days the 60s were.

• 4 weeks later...

anyone remember the second hand record stall on the old central market, you could often get older stuff you,d heard in the clubs. i still have the origional ben e king "dont play that song" that i bought from there.

mg

mg I remember buying Reggae records from Central Market with ust a white label and the song and singer written on it

• Upvote 1

mg I remember buying Reggae records from Central Market with ust a white label and the song and singer written on it

Yes the guy was there for years! Used to buy early Elvis from him then Ska on the old Bluebeat label. I miss the old Central Market period.

• 2 months later...

great reading all these memories.I have been mod all my life.Originaly from clifton.Went down all the clubs that are mentioned,dungeon,beachcomber,room at the top on glasshouse street (white hart) santa fe in the meadows,the boat/union and the brit.Still run a sixties night at the brit every couple of month's.Have the 'union gap' on in febuary and 'the formost' in june.Still ride a lambretta for my sin's.Still mix with a lot of old orignals.Good to hear all the old stories.My name is Al Jukes if anyone out there remembers me.

• Upvote 3

I still have my Dungeon Card, its a blue one, will have to find it to check on the date. I remember one night the "Ready Steady Go" people were coming to get dancers , they didn't show. There was a guy we called Sheamus , who was arguably the best dancer there, he was totally crushed.