My first bike was a Royal Enfield super sports 250cc, Wat a bike it was cool looking quite fast, Then I got a Ducatti sports nice bike, Then finally 650 Triumph super bike, Wat speed it did,Most weekends to matlock some fantastic machines parked all along the front great times.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was on Facebook.   What happens to old Mods.

I remember seeing Bolt at R.O.T in 1961, was it him or some other biker who had barbed wire wrapped around his jacket? His outfit was known as Bolt's Coffin. Another guy called Johnny Dench had a com

No,no,no,no,no, oh ok then. Many years ago on a Nottingham Forest trip to Lyon . Lots of beer, then lots of Cotes Du Rhone, then a "bumpy" taxi ride to the ground shook me up so I fell into the arms

Hubby and I were bikers back in the 60/70s.  He started on a 98cc Garelli, then a BSA 650 A7 (it was a 500 but a great friend who was a mechanical genius but a 650 head on it), then a BSA M20, and finally a 750 Honda which he kept until well into the 90s.  I was only ever on pillion - although I was on the back of the M when I was in labour with my son!  Spent many happy weekends down at the White Hart, Lenton.  Knew Friar, Animal, Titch, Taff, Billy Gilbert (who they used to call Queen of the Boulevard - he seemed too small for his bike, but was always the fastest down University Boulevard and back.)  There was also a guy that I only know as "Square with round corners" due to having a discussion as to what the geometrical shape should be called!  I do know Babs, but that was more from home than the Hart.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah me anall, learnt my lesson after chucking me dominator up the road at Gregory Rose's at toton.. Wouldn't dare go out now without all me gear. How times change!!

• 1 month later...

My first bike was a Honda CB 90. I worked on the Post over Xmas and earned £50. I bought it in Hull, where I studied and used to ride it home most weekends down the A614. 

When I was 21 I bought a Velocette Venom Clubmans with earnings and a bit extra from my folks (for my 21st b'day).

I loved that bike: changed the Thruxton bars for Clip-ons, put on rear-sets and a swept back pipe. It looked the dog's bo**ocks with it's massive fuel tank. The downside was that I spent a lot of weekends replacing the cylinder head gasket, which blew regularly.

It was bought from a dealer in Arnold

It would be worth a fortune now!

• Like 1

Here is one for all the Mods, some great photos too.

For the Rockers,

The Royal Enfield is the longest established motor cycle brand still in production and the Bullet has the longest production run of all motorcycles, it is now manufactured in India 

Image result for 1960's royal enfield 350

• Like 2
On 28/05/2017 at 3:48 PM, tabbyoddsocks said:

Hubby and I were bikers back in the 60/70s.  He started on a 98cc Garelli, then a BSA 650 A7 (it was a 500 but a great friend who was a mechanical genius but a 650 head on it), then a BSA M20, and finally a 750 Honda which he kept until well into the 90s.  I was only ever on pillion - although I was on the back of the M when I was in labour with my son!  Spent many happy weekends down at the White Hart, Lenton.  Knew Friar, Animal, Titch, Taff, Billy Gilbert (who they used to call Queen of the Boulevard - he seemed too small for his bike, but was always the fastest down University Boulevard and back.)  There was also a guy that I only know as "Square with round corners" due to having a discussion as to what the geometrical shape should be called!  I do know Babs, but that was more from home than the Hart.

Memories..I too started with a Garelli Monaco scooter, then a BSA A7, eventually buying a new Norton Commando. I used too hang out at the Hart, I rode a 250cc NSU at the time-tearing up the Boulevard. I am still a keen biker at 71, regular in Matlock on my Kawasaki ZZR1400 and also ride my 1990 ZZR1100 (recently restored).

We had a bike club in the 60s based at the Ashley Methodist youth club called the 77.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
On 6/14/2014 at 6:01 AM, Trevor S said:

One of our local celebrities was a lad called Bolt (his proper name) who rode a motor bike with a sidecar that was simply the bottom half of a long wooden crate. A true rocker in every sense and dress.

Hey Trevor S

My Dad was a mod in Notts in the 60's

He has so many great stories about the Mods and Rockers and tells some great stories about a Rocker he calls "RatNeck". He describes him as a scarey bloke who rode an old brit bike with a coffin as a sidecar. In his stories RatNeck kept spanners and wrenches in the coffin and would ride up alongside the mods and through them at their scooters. One time he put a spanner through a Lambretta engine casing. The Rocker in his stories was called RatNeck as he had a neckalace made from Rat tails.

Does this sound like it could be your mate Bolt? Don't suppose you have any pics of Bolt or his bike?

• Upvote 1

Welcome to you SMITHERZ.  Sadly TrevorS hasn’t been on the forum for a long time, nobody knows what’s happened to him.  There are a few old Mods lurking on Nottstalgia who may have one or two tales to tell about the Mods v Rockers in the 60s.  I was a Mod too but only for the clothes and the music! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 4/12/2018 at 9:36 AM, Oztalgian said:

Here is one for all the Mods, some great photos too.

For the Rockers,

The Royal Enfield is the longest established motor cycle brand still in production and the Bullet has the longest production run of all motorcycles, it is now manufactured in India 

Image result for 1960's royal enfield 350

My Dad had a 350 Bullet just post war. Very nearly died as a result of an accident on it.

I had a 250 Crusader Sport in the 60s

• Like 1