• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was on Facebook.   What happens to old Mods.

I remember seeing Bolt at R.O.T in 1961, was it him or some other biker who had barbed wire wrapped around his jacket? His outfit was known as Bolt's Coffin. Another guy called Johnny Dench had a com

No,no,no,no,no, oh ok then. Many years ago on a Nottingham Forest trip to Lyon . Lots of beer, then lots of Cotes Du Rhone, then a "bumpy" taxi ride to the ground shook me up so I fell into the arms

In the 80s I had a 250 Honda Superdream, It was better than the Lambo LD150.

000__superdream.jpgLD150.3.image.jpg

www.joebt.me.uk www.scooterhelp.com

But it had one thing in common. Bloody car drivers kept trying to knock me off it!

wonder how many of us passed our tests on lambos & vespas in the sixties and then didn,t ride for years! i went out and bought a 1200 bandit in 2001, nothing i hads ever ridden prepared me for that, is it right, safe or fair when you consider what they have to go through to get a bike licence nowdays?

not much input from the rockers! pemberton mentions the aces. first job i had on leaving school was at goodacre glover & butler on london rd next to henton & chettles, the draughtsman there was a guy named alec lived on silverdale (us cliftonites called it the wimpey estate) anyhow he was in with the aces, had a big norton! you could hear him in clifton when he was comming across trent bridge with his megs on. didn,t call them rockers then though, they were the ton up boys

mg

Hey - I just bought this:

W650.jpg

It goes a LOT better than my old Vespa!

I don't reckon we did - I KNOW we did! Me mate bought a Royal Enfield Continental GT with a 5-speed gearbox - first I ever came across. That thing would run rings around my Vespa - so what could I do? Sell the Vespa and buy a Triumph 500 Speed Twin was the correct answer. Never went back to scooters again!

Many do not know what this bike is - they are very rare here - it looks a LOT like a new Triumph, but it is actually a Kawasaki W650. Sounds just like an old Bonnie though! It makes a nice stable-mate for my 1978 KZ-650 so the choices for riding to work this summer will be difficult!

yer can have to much of a good thing yer no! you reminded me i had a royal enfeild constellation 700 twin in 1970, needed renovating but i had just married and needed the cash, sold it for 15 quid. wish i had it now. i couln,t tell what your bike was either.

looks a nice machine limey, do you think we secretly envied the bikers mounts when we were on our lambos & vespas. had to sell my bandit last year, miss the buz

mg

I started out on a 650 Thunderbird (with chair),,,, along the way had Tiger 110 (650) BSA Golden Arrow (650) with clip-ons/rear-sets etc,,, then went down to a LD150 !!! Yep - I certainly envied the power of the big bikes, especially when needing to get from a 2 b in a hurry.

I can't remember mine having the chromy bits on the side-panels tho' (like the blue one pictured),,,, & I should do if I had 'em,,,, as we were always painting ours different colours as the mood took us !

Thas what i used to do to my bikes...Dont think you'de get away with no front mudguard now tho.

It wasn't finished there, the front wheel was old bsa one whilst waiting for original being respoked etc, sissy bar was made from 1/2" steam pipe! and exhausts inch and half chromed copper pipes, no silencers fitted at all but not noisy due to length of pipe , you can just see suchat top of sissy bar, I loved those old sprung hub triumphs, handled about same as an asda shopping trolley but so simple, everything just bolted in place, quite quick too, 0-General Hospital in 10 seconds!

Golden Arrow was a 250cc Ariel, the sports model, you're thinking of The Gold (Golden) Flash, A10 BSA

,,, course it was Ash. must get my memory re chipped ! Wasn't it a Pimped Ariel Leader ? White with Gold bits here & there ? I was going to look for a picture,,,, but I don't think we need sully the thread with it !

yes there was the fully enclosed Leader with windscreen etc, The Arrow with exposed engine but still box section "frame" and leading link forks then the sports goden arrow, as you said with white wall tyres, I think it had HC pistons

t'wern't the white post per chance ?

I spent enough time there,,,, you'd think i'd be certain.

We also went there on scooters as well as cars later on.

Saw some good rallying past there at times,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

vrooooooom

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not sure if actual Rockers will appreciate this here - but as it's mentioned - here is the Ariel Arrow

ArielArrow1962.jpg

Nice example there Bazzer, Yamaha copied that engine for their 250cc , improved on the oil leak problem by fitting a separate oil feed pump to the fuel system as opposed to a fuel/oil mixture, cured the oily exhaust at a stroke (no pun intended) and that was the beginning of the end of the British motor cycle industry.

Rog

I'd say that picture was taken outside the Ace Motercycle Cafe in London. Passed by there just before Xmas and popped in for a cup of tea and bacon sarnie on the way back