• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was on Facebook.   What happens to old Mods.

I remember seeing Bolt at R.O.T in 1961, was it him or some other biker who had barbed wire wrapped around his jacket? His outfit was known as Bolt's Coffin. Another guy called Johnny Dench had a com

No,no,no,no,no, oh ok then. Many years ago on a Nottingham Forest trip to Lyon . Lots of beer, then lots of Cotes Du Rhone, then a "bumpy" taxi ride to the ground shook me up so I fell into the arms

• 1 year later...

This is Pix on my BSA B33 circa 1975. I had moved to Lincoln at this time to be closer to her. I was one of the regular bikers who met up at the Eat Out on Central Avenue, West Bridgford. After that shut for the night we would go over to the White Post for the ride and a social, or the services on the M1. I also used to frequent the Dancing Slipper on the Avenue, the Cellar Bar at the Musters Hotel, there used to be a heck of a lot of bikers there in those days.

DSCF2277.jpg

DSCF2312.jpg

Me and Pix.

CD175.jpg

Me on my trusty CD175 with Jock Kerr 240cc kit on it :) Somewhere in Bridgford.

I was a mod - had a less than trusty Vespa 150 Sportique! But me mate had a Triumph Cub, and I got fed up with fixing the Vespa, so I bought a Triumph 500 SPeed Twin. The rest, as they say, is history! However, until I could afford a more suitable jacket, I rode the Triumph wearing my parka for several months!

!clapping!

not much input from mods on this thread .mind you I could only afford wranglers and big Tees, and my bus fare home.

!jumping!

sensitive keyboard

Ah...the Tuf boots Big T! I think it was law at the time for all mods to have a pair!

I remember the prices of the "big 3" jeans brands too, Wrangler were 42/6, Lee were 49/6 and Levi 501's were 52/6.

The matching Levi denim jacket was 63/3.

Limey, Ashley also used to wear a parka on his 650 Triumph!

Limey, Ashley also used to wear a parka on his 650 Triumph!

Ah-ha - the truth always rears its ugly head eventually! So Ashley was a closet mod! shok.gif

I've come out, I've come out! Craig can you remember a young blonde who lived on Eland Street, (between NorthGate and Egypt Rd) might have had nickname of "Twinkle", she was all mod then suddenly in leather jacket etc, good looking girl

Now you've kicked me grey cells into life Ashley, I take it you're talking about "Tut Tut Tony" who had a workshop near to Les Clarke's at the top of Alfreton road in the late 60s early 70s?

Rog

Re Tony Starky he is still in Nottingham we down the white hart lenton on thursday night for bikers night still ridding bikes is looking into doing sidecar racing again dont know how far this has gone

re Big Baz big Mick Marriott and the fight in Blackpool the guy from blidworth was Robert Elsabrook or kmown as Elsiebrook by most dose this jog your memeory ashley it was 1968 the year before piggy went in the airforce we were on that trip from forty one club some big guys on that bus the police got on the bus after this fight but soon got of again. For those of you who bid not know BIG BAZ PRICE think of GIANT HAYSTACKS the profesional wrestler and you will get some idea of what he looked like and how big he really was.

re Pete Butler he now lives in Tampa USA. He will be comming to Nottingham for three days at the beginning of june and is going to come down the White hart Lenton on the thursday night so any one who knows him come down and meet up with him again if any one has any old photoes of Pete or any of the old aces or rockers in and around Nottingham we would love a copy of them to put up in the bikers bar for this and also the big yearly reunion to be held this year at THE WHITE HART LENTON on Saturday 26th june fron dinnertime onwards till late b.b.q and live music all wellcome come down and join us and meet up with old faces from your past.

Yes knew his name but not how to spell it! Think it's something like Aylesbrook though pronounced and known as Elsiebrook, re Blackpool, our bus driver made the complaint as Geordies had smashed his lights, when coppers came some of us had to go on their bus to identify who involved, always remember this copper looking at them and saying "........ hell, what happened to him" plus Elsiebrook's reply "never touched him"! Another memory is him turning up at ship one afternoon on 650/750? Norton no leather gear etc overcoat on, no helmet but goggles, looked like straight off shift down pit! that would be late 1960's, I sold him my 750/4 in 1975

I was on that Blackpool bus trip and remember the Geordie incident, I also seem to recall Ashley getting injured in the House of Fun in the fairground, was it a broken wrist or just a bad sprain. I also remember the bus not stopping at any bogs on the return journey.

In 1965 or thereabouts Baz had big single (BSA or Norton) with a sidecar chassis with railway sleepers, maybe 10 or more of us piled onto the outfit after closing time at the Ship. At the end of Castleton, Baz did a rather sharp right turn onto the promenade and most of us rolled off much to the amazement of the holidaymakers. We were all drunk so nobody was hurt.

Yes that's right, it was a broken thumb, can't recall whether done on the spinning disk thing or the revolving barrels, think I went twice on Blackpool trips and both times finished up in hospital, other time was badly twisted ankle, am trying to work out who you are? have an idea! you can always send me a pm?

• 1 year later...

Re Tony Starky he is still in Nottingham we down the white hart lenton on thursday night for bikers night still ridding bikes is looking into doing sidecar racing again dont know how far this has gone

re Big Baz big Mick Marriott and the fight in Blackpool the guy from blidworth was Robert Elsabrook or kmown as Elsiebrook by most dose this jog your memeory ashley it was 1968 the year before piggy went in the airforce we were on that trip from forty one club some big guys on that bus the police got on the bus after this fight but soon got of again. For those of you who bid not know BIG BAZ PRICE think of GIANT HAYSTACKS the profesional wrestler and you will get some idea of what he looked like and how big he really was.

re Pete Butler he now lives in Tampa USA. He will be comming to Nottingham for three days at the beginning of june and is going to come down the White hart Lenton on the thursday night so any one who knows him come down and meet up with him again if any one has any old photoes of Pete or any of the old aces or rockers in and around Nottingham we would love a copy of them to put up in the bikers bar for this and also the big yearly reunion to be held this year at THE WHITE HART LENTON on Saturday 26th june fron dinnertime onwards till late b.b.q and live music all wellcome come down and join us and meet up with old faces from your past.

Hi there! Don't know if you remember me, but I hung about Jack's Cafe Villa Street, Beeston Youth Center. Middlegates. I also live in the US, two hours from Tampa. Pete was a mate, way back, and I would love to get in touch with him to catch up on things. Can you let him know I'm looking to see him, or do you have an email address, or phone number? Or I can give you mine to give to him. Would appreciate you getting back to me ASAP. We're not getting any younger, you know. Just came across this site today. What a blast from the past! Kindest Regards, Bryan Murray (Greenshields)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! Don't know if you remember me, but I hung about Jack's Cafe Villa Street, Beeston Youth Center. Middlegates. I also live in the US, two hours from Tampa. Pete was a mate, way back, and I would love to get in touch with him to catch up on things. Can you let him know I'm looking to see him, or do you have an email address, or phone number? Or I can give you mine to give to him. Would appreciate you getting back to me ASAP. We're not getting any younger, you know. Just came across this site today. What a blast from the past! Kindest Regards, Bryan Murray (Greenshields)

SORRY HAVE JUST SEEN THIS BEEN A BUSY FEW WEEKS AS ASLEY SAYS GO ON TO ROCKERS REUNION JOIN THE FOURUM AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEND PETE A PM AND GET IN TOUCH WITH HIM AGAIN. THE NCKNAME DONT RING ANY BELLS WITH ME AT THE MO BUT MAYBE AN OLD PHOTOES FROM THAT TIME IF YOU HAVE ANY WOULD JOG MY MEMORY. OR YOUR PROPER NAME.

BABS

• 1 month later...

Hi,hope this is O.K for a first post,

Ugetsu, youvegottohavefreedom.

How the writer from Nottingham Alan Fletcher, author of the wonderful Mod Crop Trilogy of books, placed some stories from his youth into the film version of The Who's 'Quadrophenia',

Presented by John Holmes. Thanks to Realmodworld for the link. <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TG5CCtQRK7s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• 3 months later...

Can anyone remember '65 '66 an American guy riding a blue Harley Davidson Electra Glide l think he had Pennslyvania plates on it he was around Market Square a few times wonder what happened to him or who he was.

Havn't heard of them susyshoes but from the link it looks like the kind of thing I would enjoy, if they are performing again locally please post the info.

A group iv'e seen a few times over the past decade are "the Hamsters" they do the old stuff rarely well.

Mod or Rocker stuff it doesn't rarely matter any more, it was all great stuff

they have a gig guide on their website that they update all the time. I've seen them at The Clyde in Kimberley and Hucknall Town Football Club. They cover most of the midlands but seems to be mainly notts & d**by. They're at Manhattans in long eaton this Thursday and rose & crown Sutton in Ashfield on 4 Feb