I was wondering, given the number of forums that are based on Locality or on Schools, why there isn't a whole section with forums on the major employers of Nottingham - eg Meridian (where I worked) Boots, Players, Raleigh, Ericssons/Plessey etc?

I know there are pockets of posts relating to these on some of the forums but I don't think there's a dedicated section. Or have I missed it? :unsure:

We have a number of Ex Nottingham Coop employees here.

Same as schools, if there is enough call I will create a forum for any Nottingham Company.

However if you look at our home page there are numerous forum most regularly used.

I have been asked for school forums to be created that have not been used?

Members who ask for forums to be created should encourage members to join and contribute

to them. They will of course contribute to other areas of the site.

Good idea but wouldn't limit it to just major employers , though firms like Boots , Players and Raleigh deserve their own section .

Perhaps a sub-section for "other" smaller concerns.

I have a photo of the ladies working in a cutting room at Drewry & Edwards in 1933 where my Mum worked , not sure if it was Colwick or in town .

No particular story about it and I don't know any names of the workers but it would be useful to have it out there for any googlers in the future .

IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA MIGHT ALSO ATRACT NEW MEMBERS TO THE SITE I FOR ONE HAVE OFTEN LOOKED ON FRIENDS REUNITED FOR CERTAIN WORK PLACES IN THE HOPE OF FINDING OLD FRIENDS BUT NOTHING ON THERE. SO MAYBE IT WOULD ATTRACT OTHERS LOOKING FOR FRIENDS OR INFORMATION ABOUT OLD EMPLOYERS TOO.

i worked for some meadows companys in the ealy seventies when jobs where plentyful. they included redgates pop gibsons hoisery on corner of willersley st. s and a removals other firms in meadows include hiltons plubing and heating . ialso worked for water board redifusion wigfalls allied carpets and many more .

Doing a search of Face Book reveals a few groups related to Companies, but saying that also shows they have a fair few members, the groups just aren't used much.

Having a main page with more discussion catagories relating to companies than to Nottingham would not be right

I think the answer is a 'Nottingham Companies Then and Now' Catagory, where threads can be started for each individual company.

Existing company threads like Coop and Wigfalls can be moved into it.

• Upvote 1

Sussexred thought of it really :)

See where this thread sits now...

Nottstalgia Nottingham Forums > NOTTSTALGIA General Chat > Nottingham Companies Then and Now

• Upvote 1

Many people Google the companies that they used to work for.

Wherever they are mentioned in these forums, google etc will return a result.

Industry is an important part of Notts History.

• 3 years later...